outdoor light entry light is flashing in cold weather

Old 02-21-18, 05:58 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
outdoor light entry light is flashing in cold weather

I have two outdoor entry LED by my front door. They are wired to a switch that I can turn on and off from the inside. Each has a sensor that turns them on at nighttime and off during the daytime.

. One of the lights flashes on and off when the weather is cold, but stays on properly at night when the weather is warmer. Any ideas what might be going on. I am planning to look at the wiring at the junction box to see whether there is a loose connection, but this seems unlikely.

Old 02-21-18, 06:39 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I don't really have an answer but did battle with my two outside lights each side of the front door. Mine was a flickering problem but not specifically limited to cold temps. My solution was trial and error with different brands of bulbs and finally found one that will function out there.

One problem, which doesn't sound like yours is the light generated illuminating something close enough to tell the day night sensor to turn off. Mostly a concern in a very enclosed space.

Have you tried different bulbs and ones specifically for dimmable applications?

Bud

Old 02-21-18, 06:51 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Change to incandescent bulbs to see if it's the LED bulbs that are sensitive. If it still flashes then it might be the sensor sensitivity is affected by cold. Try shielding each sensor so there's no way it can "see" the light from it's own bulb, or the other fixture. A short piece of straw or toilet paper tube taped in place temporarily should do it.

If it STILL flashes then it has to be a circuit component or an unlikely loose wire.

Old 02-21-18, 08:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I don't think it's the sensitivity of the bulbs. Many photocells require a proper load on them (incandescent bulb) to work properly. If those fixtures didn't come with LED lamps..... changing to incandescent may be the only change you can make.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: