Light/Fan Switch Replacement

Old 02-21-18, 12:28 PM
I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Light/Fan Switch Replacement

I have a ceiling fan/light combo. There are 2 pull chains on the unit itself, one turning the light on/off, and one toggling the various speeds of the fan.

The wall switch is a rotary switch. If you push it in, it clicks and turns power to both the fan and light on/off. If you turn the knob, it acts as a dimmer for the light only. The speed of the fan can only be controlled by the pull chain attached to it.

The knob no longer clicks when it pushes in, so I can't turn the light back on, so I need to replace the switch. I'm usually fine with simple switch/outlet replacements, but need some direction on this one. I have attached a picture of my current wiring, as well as a picture of the back of the new switch. The new rotary dimmer switch doesn't click when you push it in, but if you turn it all the way down, it does have a click off feature.

Given that the old and new look pretty significantly different, could someone point me in the right direction as to how to do this? Glad to provide more photos if required. Thanks!

Attached Images   
Old 02-21-18, 12:48 PM
M
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
That new switch isn't going to function the same. It will dim both the light and the fan, which you don't want. I don't know firsthand, but I believe dimming the voltage to the fan is not good for the motor. You'll want to get a switch specifically for a ceiling fan. Here are a few examples: https://www.homedepot.com/s/fan%2520...0dimmer?NCNI-5

Old 02-21-18, 02:16 PM
I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Light/Fan Switch Replacement

Is there another switch I should use? See the pic below. My current switch doesn't have two knobs, and I don't need the switch to control fan speed. Right now if I press the button in, both light and fan go on. But if I then turn the dimmer down, the fan doesn't slow down. Dimmer has no effect on the fan. It just dims the light. The fan speed is completely controlled by the pull chain. The fan just turns on when the dimmer is on (at any setting), or it turns off when the switch is off. (Ignore the second switch in the picture. That's for another light that is down the hallway.)

I can use the two knob solution if that's the best choice. I was just trying to replace what I currently have with a version of itself that works. Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 02-21-18, 02:21 PM
M
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
If you can find a match, then go with the same switch if you desire. Is there a part number stamped on the front? If you can't locate a new one, you just need to be sure you find one compatible for fans. Otherwise, from what I've read, it can damage the fan motor with a regular dimmer. Although I am seeing several Lutron dimmers online with variable slide and rotary switches that decrease voltage to the fan Apparently decreasing the voltage in and of itself isn't the issue. Sounds like these fan-specific dimmers have a lower limit so the fan doesn't drop below a certain speed, which could cause it to overheat. Perhaps that is the only difference. Not sure though. I'll let someone else chime in.

Old 02-21-18, 05:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,161 Likes on 2,840 Posts
That looks like a dedicated fan/light control. I can see power going to it and two switched output leads. One lead is switched only for the fan and the other is switched and dimmable.

Name:  IMG_3313.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  84.8 KB

I'm not aware of any currently available control that works like that so you will probably need a single control with separate fan and light functions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: