Switch Wiring HELP


  #1  
Old 03-12-18, 08:20 AM
M
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Switch Wiring HELP

I just bought a new house and installed new lighting where a ceiling fan pre-wire was. For the light I just used the black, neutral, and ground to wire the light. There was an extra red wire that I didn't use since that is normally used to control the light on the ceiling fan separately. Now I'm trying to wire the switch for the light. I'm guessing that since the switch is for a ceiling fan pre-wire that there are additional wires. I just want t simple switch to turn the light on and off. I attached the picture of the current wiring. There are 4 wires available for me to use: 2 black wires, 1 red, and 1 ground. The neutral wires have been combined with a wiring nut. What kind of simple switch do I need to purchase? How do I wire the switch (since I am only using the black, neutral, and ground for the light)?
 
Attached Images  
  #2  
Old 03-12-18, 10:39 AM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 64,605
Received 3,884 Upvotes on 3,481 Posts
You can use any switch. The two black wires and the ground go on the switch.
The red wire remains capped.
 
  #3  
Old 03-14-18, 06:35 PM
M
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Itís still not working

I tried wiring the 2 black wires and ground wire to a single pole switch and itís still not working. I bought a voltage tester and one black wire had voltage and the other no voltage. Should both have voltage?
 
  #4  
Old 03-14-18, 07:17 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 64,605
Received 3,884 Upvotes on 3,481 Posts
When the switch is turned on..... both wires should be hot.
 
  #5  
Old 03-14-18, 07:28 PM
ray2047's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 29,711
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
What's a voltage tester? If you mean a non contact tester your reading is meaningless. You need to use an analog multimeter or test light.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: