Best light bulb for outdoor light

Old 02-21-18, 04:52 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best light bulb for outdoor light

I have a light fixture on my porch that seems to eat light bulbs. It's just a standard fixture for a incandescent-style bulb. In the past year I've put two or three LED bulbs in it and a halogen, and none of them made it more than 2-3 months before they wouldn't light anymore. It seems like I never had this issue with standard incandescent bulbs in that fixture. What would be the cause of this and should I just stick with incandescent bulbs?

Old 02-21-18, 10:18 AM
T
Received 198 Upvotes on 174 Posts
The only times I lamped enclosed fixtures with either LEDs or CFLs, I experienced exactly what you described. Ergo: I haven't done that in years. I assume components of the Power Supplies built into the lamps died from overheating.

Is the light controlled by a Motion Detector that sees a lot of "traffic"? In my experience LEDs and CFLs didn't last long in this application.

Try an incandescent to see if it lasts any longer.

Old 02-21-18, 11:16 AM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Is the lamp pointed in a downward direction? I found that if the more a light is pointed horizontally the more chance rain and wind will drive water into the socket and create a short. Just saying.

Old 02-21-18, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
And yet, here I am in a hot environment (not right now unfortunately) and I put 2 60W LED bulbs in my dark colored enclosed coach lamp fixtures and they're still working fine 2 yrs later. I have dusk to dawn sensors (but not motion) so they're on about 10-11 hrs a day.

Are you using special bulbs like candle or flame...of just regular A series standard bulbs?

Old 02-21-18, 12:30 PM
G
This is an enclosed fixture, mounted on a porch up underneath the roof (in a location where it should most certainly not be getting hit by any water). The fixture has a frosted glass and metal enclosure that goes over the bulb and is secured by a couple screws. Also the socket is horizontal.

This is a light on our back porch, I turn it on when I let the dog out in the morning, and my wife usually forgets to turn it off because it's light outside by the time she leaves- so it's often on all day and all night until we go to bed (16+ hours). Is that what's killing it? We have a lamp in our living room that is pretty much on 24/7 and I almost never have to change bulbs in it.

Anyway just been running standard bulbs- mostly 60 and 75 watt equivalent LED and the one halogen that I just took out dead.

Old 02-21-18, 05:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
LED's do not function well or last long in an enclosed area. The power supply as well as the actual LED are damaged by heat. A halogen bulb runs very hot and should probably not be run enclosed either. You can locate and use 130v bulbs. They will be a little bit dimmer but last a lot longer. Unfortunately... this "fix" won't do much for energy savings.

It may be time to upgrade to an LED fixture there.

Old 02-21-18, 06:36 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Everything everybody said it true. But what brand of bulb are you using? It can make a difference. A Satco is cheap and you get what you pay for. A Philips or GE may give you better performance. Also you might try a lower lumins, say in the 40 watt equivalent range and see what happens. PJ's advice may be your best bet (getting a LED specific fixture).

Circumstances vary widely. Like GunGuy I have several LED motion control outdoor lamps, totally enclosed with the sockets in the down position. And I have no problems. And I'm using a mixture of cheap Satcos and Philips.

Old 02-21-18, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
If the fixture is totally enclosed most LED bulbs can not be used in them
The heat that builds up shortens the life of the driver.
Also, halogen bulbs are sensitive to vibration and closing the door could shorten this type of bulb's life..
You'd be better off sticking with standard incandescent bulbs.

Edit:
Opps!
See the idea of overheating is already suggested.

Old 03-12-18, 03:09 PM
G
So, sorry I forgot to come back and reply to this. Short term fix I took the enclosure off the light. I might see about just swapping it out for another style.

Last time I was at the store I could not find any standard incandescents. Are they still out there?

Old 03-12-18, 03:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
Last time I was at the store I could not find any standard incandescents. Are they still out there?
They are on borrowed time and will be extinct soon. If you are looking for a long life bulb like I mentioned previously.... stop by an electrical supply house. Prepare to spend a little more but they will last longer.

Old 03-12-18, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
There are plenty of incandescent lights still out there. 1/2 the aisle at at Walmart is filled with them and HD has one whole bay...as well as other specialty bulbs scattered around. I think at least some of them have a lot longer life ahead than predicted. Until at least a generation of people die off. I know some older folks that can't stand LED bulbs, though I think they aren't getting the right advice on lumens and temperature.

Some that will stay around are rough service bulbs for GDO use and similar since some LED equivalents can interfere with the RF signal, from what I hear. Also, fridge and freezer bulbs, ovens, etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: