A fake window (that mimics the sunrise) for windowless basement room?

Old 04-06-18, 10:19 PM
A
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
A fake window (that mimics the sunrise) for windowless basement room?

Ok, I found the following DIY and I love the concept BUT would be ideal with a spin...

https://www.boredpanda.com/fake-wind...nt-led-lights/

Instead of using those suggested lights, I thought of using something like this that is dimmable. And THEN, and maybe this is too pie in the sky, it would be nice to have the lights on a timer that could be set to mimic the sunrise and have the lights go from off (or dim) to fully on over time. How possible is this??

Old 04-07-18, 04:59 AM
Received 716 Upvotes on 637 Posts
Very possible. Nice idea. The only thing is that the Grow lights have the proper spectrum to mimic natural sunlight and therefore healthier. Or at least good for plants.

Old 04-07-18, 05:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 824 Upvotes on 722 Posts
I've painted a few basements where they put in a fake window with a lit picture to mimic an exterior view. One had a TV screen hooked up to an outside camera.

Old 04-07-18, 05:10 AM
One had a TV screen hooked up to an outside camera.
That's genius! ________________________________________

Old 04-07-18, 05:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,121 Upvotes on 1,899 Posts
Long ago a girlfriend in northern Finland had a light box like you describe. It was on the wall next to the kitchen table and looked like a window. In winter it really helped to get you going in the morning to have breakfast next to the bright "window".

I think white LED's would work well if you just want a light box. Tape LED's are easy to work with and can be controlled by a programmable dimmer. If you want it more therapeutic to truly mimic sunlight you'll get more benefit if you pay attention to the wavelengths of light. There are numerous research articles about what wavelengths are believed to be the triggers in our physiology. If you go that route you'll need to more carefully look at the LED's but thanks to the LED grow light industry there LED's now that can do about anything.

Old 04-07-18, 06:40 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
The tv that Mark mentioned is the "pie in the sky". They can be fed by any outside view you select (multiple cameras) or sunrise in the east with sunset in the west. Your view becomes unlimited and will only get better over the years. You could even add in the living room full of grandkids from far away.

Best
Bud

Old 04-07-18, 06:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 868 Upvotes on 731 Posts
There are many 2x4 and 2x2 panel LED's lights out there now. Examples:
Replaces 3 x F32T8 | 5000 Lumens LED Flat Panel | 2' x 4' | E-TFP Series | e-conolight
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Metalux-Fla...-in/1000111369

IF they include 0-10v dimming and they could likely be easily controlled.

Old 04-07-18, 10:05 AM
A
1) I actually like the tv/camera idea! Can you guys give me some examples that would be budget conscience?

2) If I opt to go the light box/window route, are the specific timers that would slowly turn a light on? I can find any while searching.

Old 04-07-18, 10:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,121 Upvotes on 1,899 Posts
1. What's your budget? Budget conscience is different for everyone. But you know you will at least have the cost of a tv and camera so I'd say you could quickly hit $500 but it depends heavily on the size of screen you want.

2. Yes, there are timers. Just search for "programmable led dimmer".

Old 04-07-18, 01:20 PM
H
Received 286 Upvotes on 246 Posts
) I actually like the tv/camera idea! Can you guys give me some examples that would be budget conscience?
Just stop by any local goodwill or thrift shop, they'll have several 21" or so flat panel LED tvs/monitors in the $20-$40 range, larger TV is a few dollars more,

Look for a LED tv that has both a HDMI input and a USB port.
With those, you can hook the TV up to a chromecast dongle, and it becomes a 2nd monitor on any windows 10 computer, or x-box wifi camera, or old android phone running IP webcam.

Other option, find an old Android 4.3 or better phone that supports "MHL" (HDMI video out over phone micro usb), get a $10 usb-to-HDMI adapter, and output the video from the phone to the monitor. Should work to play live video from a 2nd old phone running IP webcam.

Old 04-07-18, 02:42 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi Hal, I'm laughing at myself as I heard the terms but never in a thousand years would I be able to do any of that. But, there is a simple solution, print it out and find a HS geek who reads things like that and have them put it together.

@Ashley, there are two types of video, outside camera/s pointed where you want and internet videos all over the world. I have access to one right down the street so I can check local conditions, if needed. For the internet it involves your internet connection and related equipment which is what Hal was suggesting is available used. Example, I'm ready for a new pc and will probably get it with a larger screen, current is a flat screen that will go to salvage as everyone always wants newer and bigger. My bet would some searching would find it all ready to go, for a price.

Bud

Old 04-08-18, 08:58 AM
H
Actually, most of it is easy, actual plug and play.

As of 4 years ago, most smartphones support automatic screen mirroring to TV or monitors via hdmi cable, just plug in the HDMI cable like any cable box or blueray player.

The item is a "MHL adapter" which has 1 usb plug and two sockets.
Plug a "MHL adapter's" plug into android phone's power socket. Plug usb power cord into MHL adapter usb socket, plug hdmi cord into MHL adapter's hdmi socket.
Then connect HDMI cable to TV/Monitor.
You'll see whatever is on the phone, mirrored on the TV.

Old 04-09-18, 02:24 PM
H
Even simpler - Forget what I said.

Go get a 50" smart TV on sale at Walmart for $200.

Mount it on the wall, insert a USB stick of sunrise pictures or connect to WIFI and stream youtube videos,
Just pretend you have a picture window.

Old 04-09-18, 03:26 PM
A
So in looking at some of the recent suggestions, I'm intrigued by some of the ideas. I like the idea of using an android phone but is there a way to display the video without using my wifi? We have Cox and have a relatively large monthly allowance but we also stream a fair amount of tv/youtube video...so I'd rather not add an extra monthly. Thoughts?

Old 04-09-18, 07:50 PM
You could use an in-house network with an Ethernet cable and a cheap baby monitor type camera.

Old 04-10-18, 09:35 AM
H
is there a way to display the video without using my wifi?
You could use local WIFI for FREE by connecting 2 old android phones.
First phone with a $10 MHL adapter plays the video.
Second android phone running IP Webcam supplies the streaming video.

Other interesting options.

A) copy larger video to a micro-SD card on the android phone, and play movies on the phone. Standard definition movies are about 4 gigabytes at normal resolution.
Example, first 21 James Bond films in standard definition are MPG files around 4 gigabytes each. You can also download and save youtube videos via a browser plugin.

A 64 Gigabyte micro SD card to expand your android phone storage is about $20 online.

B) use a local "cast to device" or IP-camera for free.
Sending video locally, BETWEEN computers you have, is free.

But you don't pay for local data that moves over wifi - e.g. copying or playing files that are already saved on the computer, or specifically, playing a .mpg file over the local network.

Take some OTHER anroid phone, install "IP-webcam" and then streaming the LOCAL video over home WIFI is free. You pay for data you download FROM THE INTERNET, that is accessed over WIFI- e.g. streaming a youtube video, downloading email.

So, right now, the computer I'm typing on, is streaming a .MPG of "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" to a smart-tv in another room. Since I already have the file, it's free to replay the movie.

Last edited by Hal_S; 04-10-18 at 09:59 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: