Bathroom timer wiring, confused

Old 04-15-18, 06:58 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom timer wiring, confused

Hi there,

I'm trying to install a Leviton single pole/3-way countdown timer switch in my bathroom, which currently has a light switch and a fan switch (both standard rocker types). My application is single pole and I want to use the switch for the bathroom fan. For some reason, I'm having a hard time visualizing how it's supposed to be installed. I've attached an admittedly crude drawing with the current wiring scheme which I'll describe as well:

- 3 cables entering the box (labeled 1, 2, and 3 in the diagram for reference)
- light switch is on the left
- current fan switch is on the right
- all three white neutral wires are currently tied together
- black wire 1 goes to the top of the light switch
- black wire 2 goes to the bottom of the light switch, then loops around (that shortcut where they strip some insulation mid-run and loop it around the terminals, which I believe is not the best way) to the bottom of the fan switch
- black wire 3 goes to the top of the fan switch

The timer switch I have has black, white, red, green and yellow/red wires. Green is obviously the ground, and the yellow/red wire is for the 3-way application so I know I won't be using that one. So that leaves the black, white, and red. What seemed logical yesterday was the following:

- black wire 3 to black on the timer switch
- add white wire on the switch to existing neutral cluster of wires
- black wire 2 to bottom of light switch and to red on the timer switch
- timer grounded to the box of course

However, no go. The light was still functional but the timer would not work. Before anyone asks, I do indeed have the instructions and have read them many, many times I guess I'm having trouble identifying the Load wire in Leviton's diagram. What am I missing here?

Thanks very much in advance!

Last edited by parkers1; 04-15-18 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Fix terminology
Old 04-15-18, 07:21 AM
P
Hmm, I may very well be an idiot Looking at my own diagram, black 2 has to be the one supplying the power. Which means it should go to black on the timer switch. And the red on the timer switch would go to black 3. And neutral would still go into the existing neutral cluster. Sorry to reply to my own post, just wanted to verify whether or not I've learned anything since I posted a few minutes ago...

Old 04-15-18, 07:23 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Black power in should go to timer black. Black fan out should go to timer red. Using a multimeter be sure which house black is power in. Black wire must be disconnected when testing.

- 3 wires entering the box (labeled 1, 2, and 3
Minor but makes posts easier to understand, those are cables not wires. A wire is a single conductor.

Old 04-15-18, 07:26 AM
P
Thanks very much and correction duly noted; I see can where I would have caused confusion. Edited my original post for clarity for future searches. Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: