Will a dimmer switch work for 4 can lights ?

Old 04-28-18, 08:40 AM
Y
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
Will a dimmer switch work for 4 can lights ?

Hope so. 1993 home and 4 can lights in kitchen now. I don't know anything about electrical/lighting. Wanted to get a licensed electrician to see if the on/off switch can be replaced with a dimmer. The lights now...are too bright....especially in the a.m., before coffee made and my brain is fully engaged.

Incandescent R40 floods are up there now......1600 lumens, 120 watt. I would not be adverse to LED or other type floods. Not sure LED can be on a dimmer ??

Need some input..... so I can ask proper questions when electrician comes.

Thanks

Old 04-28-18, 09:58 AM
Received 71 Votes on 61 Posts
Dimmers for incandescent bulbs are rated for the maximum watts they can handle. Four R40s at 120 watt is 480 watts total. There are switch box dimmers that are rated up to 600 watts.

However you should consider other options:

Replace the incandescent bulbs with LED replacements that provide the same (or fewer) lumens but use much less wattage to do so. If you want to dim them you need to get dimmable LEDs and a dimmer switch that is compatible with LED.

You could also just use bulbs that use less wattage and provide fewer lumens (either LED or incandescent) and not bother with a dimmer.

Old 04-28-18, 01:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
1600 lumen light bulbs are closer to 100 watt, not 120. I suspect the 120 is volts, not watts.

That said John's info is solid.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: