2 wiring scenarios

Old 04-30-18, 01:24 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2 wiring scenarios

I have scenarios that I am trying to get a correct answer. I have a 30 amp circuit breaker running on a 10/3 wire which connects to a 30 amp outlet for my washer. If I removed that 30 amp circuit breaker and replace it with 40 amp circuit breaker, would that damage my dryer? Some have answered yes it would damage my dryer because the circuit breaker allows the dryer to draw more than 30 amps to my driver and some have answered no. Now for those of you who answers yes , if that is the case, what is the difference with that scenarios vs plug in my phone charger to a 20 amps outlet? Wouldn’t that 20 amp outlet allow my phone charger to draw more amps to my phone and damage my phone? I am not an electrician but I am trying to understand what is the difference between those 2 scenarios. Thank you. jp

Old 04-30-18, 03:13 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If I removed that 30 amp circuit breaker and replace it with 40 amp circuit breaker, would that damage my dryer?
No, but it would create a fire hazard because the wiring no longer has adequate protection.

Some have answered yes it would damage my dryer because the circuit breaker allows the dryer to draw more than 30 amps to my driver and some have answered no.
Your dryer doesn't draw 30 amps even on a 30 amp breaker*. Your dryer only draws the current it needs.

*When the motor starts it might exceed 30 amps on one leg for a few seconds but then it will only draw a few amps.

Old 04-30-18, 03:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,898 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
You mentioned washer receptacle and dryer.
Is that a combination washer/dryer appliance ?

Old 05-01-18, 07:40 AM
J
No just the dryer. Dryer is plugged into a 30 amp outlet and the washer is plugged into a 20 amp outlet.

Old 05-01-18, 07:52 AM
J
After I posted and some have replied. I went and open up my breaker panel and found out the previous owner has had done one thing wrong and I am so thankful that my house has not been burnt down. He had the dryer 30 amp outlet runs on a 10 gauge 30 amp which is correct but he had that run to a 20 amp circuit breaker. I am surprised that has not burnt down my house since we lived here 2010. Also he had a garage disp connected to a 20 amp outlet and the wire is 12 gauge 20amps but he got that connected that to a 30 amp circuit breaker. I don’t know much about electrical but atleast to know that is incorrect. So now I have to swap those 2. Not sure why he had the outlet for the garbage disp connected to a 30 amp circuit breaker. Maybe he was using a dishwasher and the garbage disp to the same double outlet underneath the sink. We don’t use the dishwasher so we disconnected the dishwasher and just the garbage disp plugs into the 20 amps outlet underneath the sink.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: