How do I get this lamp apart?

Old 05-08-18, 06:51 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do I get this lamp apart?

My aunt has a couple that need a bulb change and originally I assumed you just pry the plastic lens out of the frame but its not looking good, ideas?

Attached Images  
Old 05-08-18, 07:21 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Disclaimer: I have seen/used these methods on other lamps, but I have no idea if they will work on that lamp. Different lamps have different structures. In fact, unless you are careful these attempts may damage the lamp.

That said:
1) Look for hidden hinges on the top (bottom?) of one side of the frame (possible covered with paint) If found rotate that side up towards the ceiling, and slide out the lens.

2) Look to see if any of the sides of the frame can slide out (sort of like on tiny rails/tracks. slide that side out (parallel to the ceiling), then slide out the lens.

3) Look on the frame for small screws holding the frame to the sub frame(??)

4) Gently and uniformly push up on the lens. If it moves upward, try sliding it towards a corner of the frame ( or to one side of the frame) then rotate the lens down and out . [This would work if the lens was resting on/over some type of ridged ledge. ]Depending on the lamp, you may not need to push up, but rather slide the lens to a corner or side.

Also : the pros will be around later, and they will probably have better, clearer suggestions.

Good luck, please let us know how things work out.

Old 05-08-18, 08:05 AM
A
Thanks for the tips. I did look around and noticed two sides of the frame were more flexible than the others but i pulled and wiggled it until I felt like it would break, thats when I figured its time to ask around.

Old 05-08-18, 04:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
That looks very similar to the fixture they use in one of the condo associations I work in.
It's a type of cloud fixture.

The lens is sitting on a lip. The fixture pan is black and the lens is red. You have to lift the lens up and slide it in one direction to unlock it. It takes a little juggling to get it to release.

Name:  cloud.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  6.4 KB

Old 05-09-18, 04:05 AM
A
Thumbs up

That could do the trick. I will give it a try next time I am there, thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: