Ceiling fan install on drywall ceiling

Old 05-12-18, 10:55 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan install on drywall ceiling

I have drywall ceiling at my home. I have some ceiling recess lights. 1) If I remove ceiling recess light fixture, are there all the electrical wires need to install a ceiling fan? I am concerned if a ceiling fan is installed it will over time eventually create cracks on the drywall ceiling. Or in case of mis-install, I would be worried it might fall. Is installing a ceiling fan a fairly simple DIY project? Price for installing a customer provided ceiling fan seem to run from $150 to $800 in my area unless the electricians are highballing me.

2) How feasible would it be to install a ceiling on a spot on the drywall ceiling where there is no pre-existing recess light? Or is it recommended? I'm sure this will cost more than installing it over a spot where a recess light fixture is removed, and with this, I'll definitely hire a contractor....

Old 05-12-18, 11:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Here is a box and bracket to do what you want. Are the lights on a switch and does the switch control more than one light.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/RACO-1-Gang...al-Box/3127059

Old 05-12-18, 01:58 PM
B
One switch controls one light. Is it a good idea to install a ceiling fan on a drywall ceiling? Even if I hire an electrician I would be concerned about the weight of fan creating cracks on the ceiling or even possibly falling over time.. As long as there's a recess light fixture on the ceiling, is the removal or the recess light fixture and installing the ceiling fan a pretty simple task for an average person?

Old 05-12-18, 02:04 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The bracket posted uses the ceiling joists for primary support. It is two sections that screw out to press against the joists.

Attached Images  
Old 05-13-18, 04:36 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
As Ray and Pugsi are trying say is that the ceiling drywall does not support anything. You must use an approved fan ceiling bracket of the type that Ray shows. It should be very easy to install the bracket since the hole is already there from the can light. Also your existing wiring should have a ground wire. The next thing you want to determine is where the power enters the circuit. At the switch or at the light (soon to be fan).

Old 05-13-18, 06:49 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, that should be pretty straight forward mount the box where the old recessed fixture was, only thing is size of the hole for the recessed fixture will probably be bigger than the fan box hole will need to be patched around.
Geo

Old 05-13-18, 10:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Ray is showing the view from the attic. The box can also be installed from the ceiling below. Your biggest problem is the size of the hole. The box is roughly 4" and your can is probably 5" or 6".

Name:  fan_ box.jpg
Views: 8062
Size:  24.0 KB

Old 06-23-18, 09:28 PM
B
Would this be a pretty easy DIY project if you are cutting a hole in the drywall ceiling? And do you need to get a permit in your jurisdiction to install a ceiling fan?

Old 06-24-18, 04:31 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Yes and no.

Depends on your level of confidence and expertise. And no in most cases a permit is not required.

If you're adept at doing house electrical wiring then this is a typical DIY project. Apparently you have no fan in the room at this time. So you need to locate the center of the room and find out where the ceiling joist run. Cut the hole and install the fan bracket. But you also need to run you electrical wiring. For that you may need to get into the crawl space if possible and then you'll need the wall switch.

Old 06-24-18, 06:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
And no in most cases a permit is not required
Any electrical work where you are adding boxes, or installing new wire/cable, requires a permit in most locations. Check with your local city for their requirements.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: