Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

Same circuit LED lights flicker slightly on when other lights are switched on..?

Same circuit LED lights flicker slightly on when other lights are switched on..?

Old 05-14-18, 12:51 AM
C
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts

In each bedroom we have ceiling LED cans as well as a ceiling fan/LED light combo unit. The cans & fan/light combo are on separate switches but the same circuit. When both cans and fan/light are off- if I switch power on to the fan/light combo all of the cans briefly and slightly illuminate and fade back out- I'm talking a faint glow, maybe 3% of full illumination (but noticeable).

Each of three bedrooms are on their own circuit and they all exhibit this phenomena. The brand of cans/fan is the same in all rooms.

Any thoughts as to what's happening?

Old 05-14-18, 10:59 AM
Received 387 Upvotes on 337 Posts
An electronic dimmer or possibly a fan speed control will sometimes provide enough of a return path to cause LED bulbs to glow slightly when switched off. To test for this condition replace one of the LED bulbs with a standard incandescent bulb and see if the LED still glow as you described. If they do not then you probably have to replace a dimmer with one that is LED compatible or isolate the fan speed control from the lighting circuit.

Old 05-14-18, 12:10 PM
C
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Assuming the glow is not a bother- is this a safety issue of any kind? When I flip the fan switch on the the glow appears and disappears within a just a second, and I only noticed it by chance one time.. If it's not a hazard I don't really want to do anything about it, I just wasn't sure.

Thanks for the response!

Old 05-14-18, 12:35 PM
Received 387 Upvotes on 337 Posts
If it does not bother you there is no problem. It is not a safety issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: