Ceiling Fan Won't Start Rotating

Old 05-27-18, 10:11 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Won't Start Rotating

Hi All,
I have a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan that worked fine for years but recently failed to start rotating when it was turned on. I checked all the connections and switches and they all were OK. I read that failure to start to rotate is a typical symptom of a failed start capacitor. So I replaced the cap with new one. The fan still will not start on its own -- but it does hum at three different speeds. Now if I set the speed to HI and give the blades a little push, off it goes rotating fine. Same thing happens at MED speed but does NOT happen a LOW speed.
Any ideas out there as to what might be going on?

Old 05-27-18, 08:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,983 Upvotes on 3,575 Posts
If you replaced the cap with the same exact ratings and wired it correctly... and it doesn't start correctly.... it's time to replace the fan.

Old 05-29-18, 01:05 PM
K
oil

maybe try to get a little oil into it

Old 05-29-18, 01:50 PM
Received 725 Upvotes on 641 Posts
I'm thinking the shaft is bound up with corrosion or rust. It seems to me that either it works or it doesn't. Use the oil idea klockk suggested. We have fan like that at work It will run on high speed but can't get started at low without a push.

Old 06-08-18, 02:57 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
My fan had same symptoms. I did the same you did, replaced capacitor which didn't fix the problem.

Little bit of machine oil did the trick. Mine didn't have any hole for oiling. I squeezed oil where the downrod is connected to the motor. You won't see where oil is going but it will go to the right spot.

Hopefully it will fix your issue too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: