Three Way switch problem?

Old 06-10-18, 04:32 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Three Way switch problem?

We just moved into a new home (new to us, built 1984). For the first week or two, the ceiling fan and light in the family room worked fine. We had some painters come in, they took of the covers and painted. It still worked, but a couple days after they finished, the light/fan stopped working. It is a 3 way switch, with switches on either side of the room - the light and fan are wired to a single switch, not controlled separately.

I took the fan apart and test the wire in the ceiling with a multimeter - no voltage.
I tested the power at the switches, no voltage or really low (.5)
I know that this circuit is on the same breaker as some other items that all work.

Would this be a failed three-way switch? Is there a way to tell/test?

Any other troubleshooting guidance? I am by not great with electricity, but grasp the basics. Three-way switches have always confused me

Old 06-10-18, 05:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
There is a dark colored screw on each three way switch. Check from that dark screw to ground at each end. Power needs to be on one of those switches. If you don't find power at the dark screw on either switch..... the problem is before there.

You will be required to identify everything on the problem circuit. See what is working and what is not. Them problem will be at the first dead location or the last live location.

Old 06-10-18, 06:07 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks pete

When i test at each switch i get only .4 or .5 volts. So guessing the problem is before there. But everything else seems to work. How do i trace it back?

Old 06-10-18, 06:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
There is no magic solution. You need to identify what is working and what is not on the circuit. It will be between the two.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: