Switch with 2 red, 2 black and 1 ground wire.

Old 06-11-18, 11:50 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Switch with 2 red, 2 black and 1 ground wire.

I have a switch indoors which controls two outdoor daylights. I opened the wall plate and found that it has two red wires and two black wires and one ground (so 5 terminals in all). I stuck a multimeter on them and only one of the black ones has voltage, the rest are all 0.

Now, I want to replace this whole thing with a timer switch, which has one line, one load and one neutral. I've taken care of the neutral (together with all the other neutrals in the box), but I am a bit confused about what to put in the line and load.

How can I make my timer switch control both the daylight bulbs? Also, what kind of a switch is that, which has five terminals?

Thanks!

Old 06-11-18, 10:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,877 Upvotes on 3,475 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That's a very odd color combination of wires. If it were cables there would be two reds, two whites and two blacks. Since there are no white wires I'm assuming a conduit system or are there two white wires stuck back in the box ?

From your description..... the switch sounds like a two pole switch which is strange in that application unless two circuits are being switched. If that were the case..... both black wires would be always hot.

Can you post a picture or two of the switch/wiring for us.
How-to-insert-pictures

Old 06-18-18, 12:53 PM
G
Thanks. I posted here:

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questi...-1-ground-wire

and although the msytery is not resolved, I got it to work by ignoring two of the wires.

Old 06-18-18, 06:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,877 Upvotes on 3,475 Posts
A four way switch makes sense. However, that means there are two other three way switches controlling that circuit. Change the position of one of those switches and that circuit will no longer work.

Old 06-25-18, 11:50 AM
G
Thanks. Ya, its ok, since I replaced it with a timer, I am never going to touch those switches. I located another switch which was deep down in the basement. Have to find the third switch now .

I wish homes came with a manual.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: