Wrong screws used on ceiling fan box

Old 06-13-18, 12:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wrong screws used on ceiling fan box

My house was getting some remodeling done by a few people over the past few weeks which just finished. I bought a brand new ceiling fan to replace my old one in my bedroom. Originally I planned to put it up myself but I saw one of the workers put it up. The electrical box is fan rated and is the same one in this image on the left:
The fan box was covered with white paint so I couldn't read the label at the time and didn't know whether #10-32 or #10-24 threads would fit into the posts. The original screws were missing since this box came with the house. I had both screws on hand but the guy screwed in the #10-32s with a screwdriver at first but it only went in halfway before getting locked. I told him to use the other set of screws but he just power drilled it all the way in. I figured it had to be the wrong size if he had to power drill it in and later confirmed it.

The screws do appear to be pretty secure and probably overtightened to death. I don't even think I can pull it out with a regular screwdriver if I wanted to which would just strip the threads even more. ​​​​​​​Is it safe to leave it as is? This (16 lb) fan will be right over my bed and I don't want it falling on me lol.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-18, 12:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 16 Votes on 13 Posts
I would replace the box. Much better than a spinning fan falling.

Old 06-14-18, 10:33 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would like to avoid replacing the box for now since it's directly screwed to the joist and I'll likely have to cut and patch the drywall to put a new box. Do you think tapping the posts would work if the threads are stripped?