Two closet lights on one single pole switch

Old 06-20-18, 07:42 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Two closet lights on one single pole switch

i took down two light fixtures in closet -one was a fluorescent. When I installed one basic single bulb fixture all worked fine. I am fairly certain this box is where the power source feed is. When installed the second fixture - with switch off- as soon as I touched the Blk- blk & white-white that light comes on & the original light comes on but very dim. The switch doesn’t control the second light. Btw, the switch is new. Sure appreciate your help. I have pics of the boxes/wiring if that would help. ( first box has a two blk/1 white grouping - & a two white group where I wired the white fixture light to - finally it has a single blk wire that I connected fixture blk to: second box has two blks grouped & two whites grouped. I connected fixture blk to blk & white to white) Thx!

Last edited by Htaylor; 06-20-18 at 07:50 PM. Reason: More info
Old 06-20-18, 08:26 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Yes, pictures: How to insert pictures.

Tell us about the switch wiring.

Old 06-21-18, 02:53 AM
H
Thanks for your response. How can I get into the advanced editor mode? I don’t see that as an option.

Old 06-21-18, 03:06 AM
H
The switch box only has a black, white & ground wire. Thanks

Old 06-21-18, 05:03 AM
switch box only has a black, white & ground wire
That means you have a switch loop. That means power comes in at one of the lights.
Starting at the light nearest the switch and using a multimeter, preferably analog, check each black wire to ground. When you have found that wire and its corresponding white cap the two wires and mark that cable as power in.

Starting out at the ceiling box nearest the light disconnect and group the black and whites according to which cable they are from. Turn off the breaker. Set your multimeter to lowest resistance scale. Turn the switch on and check each cable for continuity. When you find one turn the switch off and see if you no longer have continuity. If so mark that cable switch loop.

The remaining cable should be power to the next light.

I am assuming light closest to the switch is where power comes in. If it isn't repeat at the other light.

Diagram of connections:

Attached Images  

Last edited by ray2047; 06-21-18 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-21-18, 05:22 AM
How can I get into the advanced editor mode?
Not available on some android phones. Best to use your computer.

Old 06-23-18, 05:45 AM
H
Follow up: following your advice I THINK I identified the power in source & switch loop in the ceiling closet to switch. Also, the diagram you sent is basically what I had prior to taking anilything apart. With fixture wired in box farthest from switch & the two sets of wires in box closest- when I touch second fixture wires to powwr source in blk & white both lights come on even w switch in off position. When they come on the one closest seems to be normal bright & other is somewhat dimmer. What am I not doing? So appreciate your patience & help!

Old 06-23-18, 06:58 AM
With fixture wired in box farthest from switch & the two sets of wires in box closest- when I touch second fixture wires to power source in blk & white both lights come on even w switch in off position.
Sounds like you have lights wired in series.

Name:  x.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  9.4 KB

Attached Images  

Last edited by ray2047; 06-23-18 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-06-18, 05:47 PM
H
Switch not controlling two ceiling lights

I previously posted about this problem & still can’t solve the issue. Since posting I have researched few things that may help. I have a single pole switch to two ceiling lights in the same closet. When I installed the light furthest from the switch all was fine. When I installed the light closest to switch things got confusing! I THINK power source is to the box closest to the switch. Switch loop?? The switch has a black, white & ground. Box closest to switch has two - 3 wires coming into it. Box furthest has several white wires grouped/capped w a black & white thatbi used to connect the fixture. When I wired the second light both lights stay on w the one closet seemingly being normal bright but the other one is dim. One final thing, they are on a circuit that feeds into another bedroom ceiling light .i tried replacing the single pole switch & also a three way switch- same results. I appreciate any help!

Mod note: Threads have been merged.

Last edited by ray2047; 07-06-18 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-07-18, 02:16 PM
The switch has a black, white & ground
Yes that is a switch loop. Second light if I'm following you needs to be connected to the light controlled by the switch. Yes, this is a repeat answer but you may have misidentified a wire.. To be sure disconnect the cable you identified as hot and verify with a multimeter. (A non contact tester won't work.) Disconnect both the white and black and then to be sure that the black and white are from the same cable measure between the black and white.

Attached Images  

Last edited by ray2047; 07-07-18 at 02:32 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: