Ceiling fan noise

Old 06-22-18, 07:12 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan noise

I am just about at my whits end with a new Harbor Breeze ceiling fan I bought at Lowes. It worked great when I first installed it but I had to switch the blades around since they seemed sort of off-balance.

After doing this it developed a sort of "tapping/clicking" noise that was intermittent and was not as fast as the rotating motor. So i disassembled it again and tightened all the mounting screws, moved all the wires and wire nuts up into the mounting bracket in case it was one of them that was hitting the motor. It worked great again for about a day and now this noise has sort of returned. It is quieter than it was before but still there.

The weird thing about this noise is that it never happens on startup. The fan will run silently for about 6 or 7 hours and then this noise starts. This time it seems to be directly related to the speed of the motor.

I disassembled it once more and checked all the screws on the motor and they are super tight. I really don't know what else it could be. It is not the chains tapping the fixture, it is really a dull tapping sound.

Old 06-22-18, 07:21 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Could be a bad bearing inside the motor. I'd just return it for another.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: