Switch to nothing

Old 06-23-18, 03:40 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Switch to nothing

]I have a switch that goes to nothing. I followed it to the attic to a junction box in the attic. One of the three wires goes to an existing kitchen light and I'm not 100% certain where the other goes. I want to kill the switch on the wall but I'm not sure what problems it may cause. Any suggestions? I can crawl around and get more photos for clarification if necessary

Old 06-24-18, 02:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Disconnect power wire to switch and see what doesn't work.

Old 06-24-18, 03:34 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Someone smarter than me, like Ray will come along & give you solid info but, on the face, if you followed the wire back to the junction box, that's where power is coming from, not going to.
You didn't mention any other wires. So, based on the info you provided, it sounds like you have power from the junction box to the switch, but doesn't go from the switch to anything.

If it were me, I'd test the wires at the switch & be sure there is, or isn't current to the switch. After that, I would just leave it or remove it & cap off the wires (or remove them as well) & put a blank plate over the hole. Of course this is all based on what my needs & plans were.

Old 06-24-18, 08:09 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Depending on it's location I've often found ones near an outside door to be for a switched outlet.
1/2 The outlet is always hot the other 1/2 that's switched is for being about to turn on something like a table lamp on so you can see when walking into the house.
Ones I find in the middle of the house tend to be for something like an attic or crawlspace light.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: