Bathroom Remodel HELP

Old 07-22-18, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Remodel HELP

I uninstalled the bathroom fan w/ light assembly. The electrical wiring is on a 15A breaker in the breaker box. I traced the cable from the breaker box to an old model breaker switch with two 15A screw in fuses. From that switch, the wiring feeds into the bathroom. Once its in the bathroom exterior wall, it splits in a junction box to the fan/light. From the fan/light it splits to a switch set (one for the light and one for the fan) and a outlet.
I replaced the old 15A breaker with a GFI 15A for saftey. To make the cabling cleaner, I started at the junction box in the exterior wall and ran new Yellow electrical wire to the new set of switches, and a separate cable from the junction to the outlet. (I did this for troubleshooting purposes to half-step issues that may arise) I ran each switch to their perspective set of wires for the light and the fan. This ceiling fan/light is LED so it doesn't draw very much. Once the wiring was complete, I energized the circuit and everything powered on. This was two days ago.
Today I flipped the switch for the light and got nothing. I checked the breaker, and it was tripped. It will not reset. I checked the fuses in the 15A dual fuse box and they are both good. I am getting power to the breaker, but not to the 15A dual fuse box. The breaker is new. I will replace it and try again, but what I don't want is the entire circuit to be drawing too much over the new cabling and catch fire. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-18, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 382 Votes on 359 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

NM-b cable is color coded now based on amperage. White cable is used for 15A circuits. Yellow is used for 20A circuits and orange for 30A circuits.

That old switch sounds like a two fuse disconnect. Not sure why you are keeping it. You should look towards eliminating it and allowing the circuit breaker to protect the circuit. If the breaker is tripping and the fuses are not blown.... the problem is between the breaker panel and the fuse panel..... possibly something in the fuse panel.

Old 07-22-18, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I eliminate the 2 fuse box? Just replace it with a junction and hard wire directly to the main line to the breaker?

Old 07-22-18, 05:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 382 Votes on 359 Posts
Yes. The 15A circuit is a 15A circuit. Having it run to a two fuse disconnect does not make the circuit any larger. It just connects two 15A circuits to one which in the long run will trip prematurely.