This old miswired house

Old 07-30-18, 06:13 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This old miswired house

I have a switch controlling an outlet. I have a single black wire, a single white wire, and a ground. I would like to us that switch for a ceiling fan and have power to the outlet be full time, independant of the switch status. I have the wire run to the switch for the fan, i just cant figure out the connection. To make it worse instead of silver and brass, the switch has 2 silver screws at the top labeled load and 2 black screws at the bottom labeled line.

Old 07-30-18, 08:00 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
To make it worse instead of silver and brass, the switch has 2 silver screws at the top labeled load and 2 black screws at the bottom labeled line.
Sounds like someone used a double pole switch instead of a single pole switch. Best to change it.

We need to know all the wires and connections at the receptacle. That is where the wiring needs to be changed.

Old 07-30-18, 08:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,992 Upvotes on 3,583 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Code requires a switchable light when entering a room. A ceiling fan and light are ok.
Just a ceiling fan doesn't meet that requirement.

Turn the circuit off, pull the receptacle out of the wall without disconnecting the wires from it. Either describe what you see or post a picture or two. Pictures are very helpful.... How-to-insert-pictures

That sounds like a two pole switch. Not a typical fan switch. Where is it from ?
A typical wall switch will work fine.

Getting quick there Ray.

Old 07-31-18, 08:02 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
How many places is that receptacle switched from?
Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: