LED Strip advise needed

Old 08-08-18, 09:00 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question LED Strip advise needed

Hi all, I've set up some LED strip at home.

The design is simple. I'm using 4xAA batteries as power source for flexible location and less wiring.
Then I connect via a bluetooth controller (operating at 5V), to the 5050 RGB LED strip.

I've made 5 of them so the lights are controlled thru the mobile app.

It worked at the beginning but later I realized it's a wrong design. The bluetooth controllers have been discoverable all the time and draining the batteries in a few days. After that it becomes piece of junk.

To rectify this I need some advises from anyone with similar experience
- Is there any bluetooth controller that turns off its discoverable or uses minimal power even in discoverable?
- If not should I go for other remote like RF / IR, then multiple lights cannot be controlled simultaneously and will be blocked easier if I'm right?

Any better alternative / suggestion is appreciated.

Old 08-09-18, 04:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,271 Upvotes on 2,023 Posts
In order to wirelessly connect to any device it must be powered up and able to communicate. There isn't much powering down a Bluetooth device can do. It must be powered up to receive signals and it must be powered up and using energy to broadcast so other devices know it's there. There is a reason Bluetooth is a big drain on a cell phone battery.

IR and RF are better for power consumption since they do need to be constantly transmitting. They still consume power continuously but it's a much smaller amount.

Old 08-11-18, 01:04 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

In term of power consumption, any idea on the consumption rate of IR? Just want to have a rough estimation how long it can survive on 4 AA batteries.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: