4 gang ground wiring

Old 08-14-18, 05:10 PM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
4 gang ground wiring

Name:  4 gang ground wiring.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  11.6 KBI have a 4 gang metal electrical box with a receptacle, a fan switch, a light switch and a timer for a towel warmer.

The honeywell timer does not require to be grounded.

For the receptacle i would loop the ground wire from the "cable from source" around the screw in the box and then connect it to the receptacle.

All other grounds would go to individual screws on the box. (no screw would have more than one ground wire bound to it)

There is not much space in the box and would like to forego using a wire nut(s) if possible.

note: There are 8 screws in total in the 4 gang box.

Can i wire all the grounds to the screws as in the picture below? Would that be code in Canada?

Thanks.

Old 08-14-18, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,880 Upvotes on 3,477 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

All grounds need to be connected together with tails for the devices. What I do is to use longest incoming ground wire to attach to a green box grounding screw. Then I connect all the grounds and the tails to that wire.

Old 08-18-18, 10:32 AM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PJmax
Welcome to the forums.

All grounds need to be connected together with tails for the devices. What I do is to use longest incoming ground wire to attach to a green box grounding screw. Then I connect all the grounds and the tails to that wire.
Thanks for your reply. That is what I initially did but it took too much space.
For CANADA (CEC) I think I'm OK. My thinking is the metal box ensures continuity to the electrical panel for all the grounds attached to the box screws. AND the box being sold in Canada with 8 screws in it for grounds and after talking to quite a few people and visiting quite a few websites I'm comfortable and so I did it this way and it frees up alot of space. BUT based on what I have read online (spent hours on many sites!!) this is not acceptable in the USA as per the code.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: