Can I install Hunter fan on sloped ceiling with bracket opening sideways?

Old 08-18-18, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I install Hunter fan on sloped ceiling with bracket opening sideways?

I would like to install a Hunter fan on my sloped bedroom ceiling. It's a 4/12 pitch (about 18 degrees). I haven't bought the fan yet but looking at the instructions online I've run into a problem and need some advice.

The bracket that comes with the fan is supposed to work up to a 34 degree slope but the instructions say the opening in the bracket has to be facing uphill. My fan box (a plastic saddle box with screws that go directly into a 2x4) is oriented with the screws on the up/down slope, so the bracket would have to be installed with the opening to one side or the other. I called Hunter tech support (hoping that they would either say it's ok with an 18 degree slope, or at least have an alternate mounting bracket I could buy) and they just said I can't mount a fan without installing a different fan box with the screws going across the slope instead. I don't see how the fan is going to jump out of the bracket just because the opening is oriented to the side. It does look like the hanging ball is not completely round (kind of a rounded triangle?) on the Hunter fan, not sure if that matters.

There is currently a Hampton Bay fan installed by a previous homeowner, with the bracket opening facing the side just like the Hunter bracket would be. But the instructions for the Hampton Bay fan don't say anything about how the bracket has to be oriented.

Can I really not install a Hunter fan in this location without redoing a perfectly good fan box? To comply with Hunter's instructions I could try to remove the existing box and replace it with a metal pancake box (assuming the depth is right) but I would have to find a pancake box with fan mounting screws perpendicular to the box mounting screws, and I'm not sure such a box exists.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-18, 10:33 AM
Received 95 Votes on 86 Posts
I have several Hunter fans and a few were installed on cathedral ceilings. If I recall the connection is a ball fitting that allows the fan to pivot but I dont remember if it was part of the fan or an accessory item.

Stay away from the Hampton Bay fans they are about as cheap as they come!!

Old 08-18-18, 06:03 PM
Yes, the fan comes with a bracket for sloped ceilings. The problem is that Hunter says the bracket opening (that the downrod slips through) has to be oriented toward the peak, but my framing and fan box will put the opening to the side.

Old 08-19-18, 01:11 AM
Then you know the answer, the box has to change or the bracket, it has to pivot in the correct direction.

Old 08-19-18, 05:11 AM
I'm pretty sure it can pivot in any direction. Hunter seems to think it is less secure on a slope unless the opening is pointed up. I can see how it would be a problem if the opening was pointed down, but sideways doesn't seem much different than an installation on a flat ceiling. I will pick another fan before I'll install a new box for this one. In my limited experience with installing fans Hunter seems to have a knack for finding stupid ways to make life difficult.

Looking at the instructions for a few other brands, I don't see anything about which direction the bracket has to be facing. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Old 08-19-18, 05:20 AM
I am not following what you are saying, the bracket has to mount pointed toward the top of the sloped ceiling. it's the only way that it will work.

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...1&d=1534681200

So is the issue that the attachment to the existing box does not allow?

Can the box be rotated or modified so the attaching bracket will fit?

Its been awhile since I had a fan rated box in my hand but I though they were pretty universal for mounting to them!

Attached Images  
Old 08-19-18, 09:04 AM
I'm not sure why that is the only way it could work. It's essentially a ball and socket joint, and a guy at my local electrical/lighting store said it should work even though Hunter says they won't be responsible. My current Hampton Bay fan is installed this way. In any case it would be much easier for Hunter to provide a bracket that would work than for me to have to redo my fan box. I don't think it's just a matter of putting in a different fan box in the same place. As far as I know there are no fan boxes that have the fan mounting screws along a line perpendicular to the box mounting holes. So I would have to put a new 2x4 in the attic and move the box at least a couple of inches from where it is now. Seems like a lot of trouble to go through, would be nice if the fan company would provide a more universal mounting solution.

Old 08-19-18, 11:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
You can point the bracket in any direction you choose. Hunter has stated to point upwards as they've seen the fan come unhooked if the bracket is not pointed up.

Just a common sense answer to me. How can you possibly blame the company for being cautious ?
I've seen WAY too many frivolous lawsuits where clearly the customer is in the wrong and the company bites the bullet. It's getting old.

Old 08-19-18, 01:01 PM
PJmax, I can't blame the company for being cautious. However, I can blame them for making it so difficult to do it the "right" way if they think it matters. It would be very easy for them to make a bracket with multiple sets of holes so that the opening could be pointed up regardless of the orientation of the box. Or to make the bracket with a piece that gets screwed in after the fan is hung that prevents the ball from coming out of the socket. But instead I have a house built by a major builder with a fan box installed by a licensed electrical subcontractor which (unless code dictates the orientation of fan boxes on sloped ceilings) is installed correctly but somehow is apparently incompatible with a large number of ceiling fans just because of the way the box is oriented. I think that's kind of annoying.

Old 08-20-18, 10:03 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I had the same issue with my hunter fan I installed last year so I removed the box and reinstalled it so that the screws would line up with the bracket so that it would face upwards. My Fan runs fine now with no wobble what so ever

Old 08-21-18, 01:03 AM
However, I can blame them for making it so difficult to do it the "right" way if they think it matters
Difficult?

I dont think that is a fair statement, they are providing consumers with the parts required to provide a safe and secure installation.

Its up to the consumer to follow the recommendations. Could the bracket be installed sideways, possibly, but would I want to sit under a 50 pound whirling fan knowing that I took a short cut on the installation, properly not!

Do the right think and make the changes to the box so that it is installed correctly!

Old 08-24-18, 02:38 PM
It's not just a matter of installing a different box. I would have to add structure up there (since there are no boxes that I can find with fan mounting points perpendicular to the box mounting holes). Know what's not difficult? Buying a different fan instead.

[Andoy33, I'm curious: how did you reinstall your box? Did you drill new holes in it, or did you have more than a single 2x4 in the ceiling to mount it to? Or did you have to add more lumber or move the box?]

Here's what I found out from some other companies, in case it helps anybody else:

Kichler: no problem, also their fans have the Canadian-style safety strap just in case
Fanimation: no problem
Emerson: probably ok with the regular bracket, but better yet their sloped mounting kit (which is needed for steeper ceilings but can be used on any ceiling) has a piece that closes off the bracket opening after the fan is installed so there is no way the fan can come out.

Monte Carlo, Minka Aire, and Craftmade instructions all say to point the opening upwards. There is no mention of an alternate bracket, but I didn't call them and ask either.

Old 08-28-18, 07:26 AM
Update: it looks like Monte Carlo makes a sloped ceiling kit with four mounting slots (imagine!) and which fully encloses the ball/downrod.