Short after a lighting strike close to house.

Old 08-22-18, 01:09 AM
Short after a lighting strike close to house.

Good day Gentlemen I am new to site so forgive me of my rookie mistakes.My ? Is the other day there was a storm and lighting may have hit house if not ground or very close one of my breakers tripped for a bedroom that has the modem for satellite which was very close to area of the strike and it also feeds a attic light well changed breaker in process found that light switch to the attic light was causing new breaker to trip,I then changed to switch and light thought it would solve it buy when I hit switch tripped breaker yet again.I know very little about electrical so any advice would help I am guessing I have short between the switch and light ?also what could the ground rod have anything to do with it?Thanks in Advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-18, 04:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sorry it a little basic you said little known about electric. Turn breaker off first. At switch with problem disconnect wires and leave off. Do not let wire ends touch anything or cap the wire ends. Turn breaker back on and see if it trips. If not we know it is in light circuit. Take pictures if wiring before you touch anything.

Old 08-22-18, 05:33 AM
Unplug everything on the problem circuit, even remove all light bulbs. Then turn breaker back on to see if it holds. Try all related switches in case the problem is in the wiring.

Bud