What is this?!?


Old 08-26-18, 07:50 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is this?!?

Discovered this strange bolt thing. What is it? Does anyone know? It looks like a U-bolt but it's completely threaded. I've never seen this type of bolt before! And it's solid... not flexible. This is what was discovered after taking down a ceiling fan in an old house. Each side of the bolt is about 5 inches long.
Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-18, 08:21 AM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 12,933
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
It appears to be for hanging a ceiling fan or some type of chandelier. Did the old fan have a hook on it?
Old 08-26-18, 08:53 AM
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Ct.,USA
Posts: 1,180
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
Looks like a threaded rod that has been bent to form a U bolt. The U bolt was probably hung from a 2x4 (scabbed between ceiling joists) to hold the electrical box for the ceiling fan. If the scabbed piece was located vertically to set the electrical box at the correct depth or a shim was used to set the electrical box, the inside nuts would be used to secure the box to the scab . Not sure how the top nuts were used.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: