LED power supply location in hanging light fixture

Old 08-29-18, 12:31 PM
LED power supply location in hanging light fixture

Hi there

I'm trying to design a chandelier using an LED 'tape light' strip. I have the light strip, a diffuser channel and a 12V power supply. The power supply is about 13 3/4" x 3" x 1 1/2".

My design is basically a long rectangular box made of some live edge lumber that the light strip will run along the length of.

My question is with respect to where I locate the power supply. Does it belong inside the chandelier fixture itself, or can I locate in the ceiling somewhere, near to the junction box?

I have no idea if the latter would violate any sort of building code (I live in Ontario Canada).

If I put it inside the fixture, I see that the power supply housing is perforated, presumably to allow heat dissipation. In this case, my question is about how much air space it needs around it. It's 12V, 25W.

Thanks for reading.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-18, 05:08 PM
Group Moderator
You can locate the power supply wherever you want. Keep in mind that low voltage DC doesn't travel well so you want to use proper sized wire between the power supply and light and keep the run reasonably short.

Old 09-09-18, 06:30 PM
thank you for the reply

I have ordered compatible parts from my supplier so hopefully I will be ok