E17 socket wired to outlet

Old 09-30-18, 05:29 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
E17 socket wired to outlet

Hello,

I have an E17 socket from a microwave that I want to wire to a outlet. The microwave control board was damaged while replacing a blown bulb. Microwave itself still works, only bulb will not turn on. Control board is $100+, so I wanted to wire it to an outlet to avoid buying the control board. See attached picture of socket.

Bulb is rated AC 120V, 40W, it is dimmable (dual filament)

Is it simple as attaching a plug to the wire coming out of socket? My concerns is safety. Is a fuse required or anything?

Attached Images  
Old 10-01-18, 05:13 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Yes, you can wire the E17 socket to a plug, Put the plug in a outlet when you want the light on. For safety, the bulb threads of the E17 socket must be connected to the neutral wire and is accomplished with a 3 prong plug. Another way of connecting the E17 socket is to connect it to the same device you are using to turn the microwave on and off. The neutral of the E17 socket and microwave power source are wire nutted together and the line side of the E17 socket is connected to the load side of the device you use to turn the microwave on/off, With this connection, the light is on when the microwave is on.

Old 10-01-18, 06:07 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you. To hook socket threads to neutral , isn't a polarized plug only required?

Should ground prong be connected to anything or is it only to ensure polarity ?

Old 10-02-18, 03:56 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
To hook socket threads to neutral , isn't a polarized plug only required?
Yes, assuming outlet is wired correctly and you connected the neutral wire to the socket threads.

To hook socket threads to neutral , isn't a polarized plug only required?
Good practice to connect ground wire in plug to E17 socket. The rest of the microwave should already be grounded by the original plug when connected to outlet. Be aware this situation can result in a ground loop which sometimes causes problems in the microwave's control boards containing sensitive electronics.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: