Tunable white LED lighting in residential setting?

Old 10-06-18, 08:01 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tunable white LED lighting in residential setting?

My office recently put daylight temp LED lighting in the (dim) lobby, and I was struck by how it now feels like it is illuminated by sunlight; really nice. So I'm now wondering if it would be crazy to put tunable white lighting in my (very dim) living room, with some sort of timer that automatically shifts it to warmer in the evening. Thoughts about that, or about how to do it?

As for how, lighting would need to be ceiling mounted. I think cove is out (for a variety of reasons) so I guess some sort of recessed cans. I haven't seen residential-type tunable LEDs for ceiling cans, do they even exist?

Now that I've written this out, it seems like seriously complicated overkill. Perhaps I'll test my idea by getting a few daylight temp bulbs to put in my (inadequate) floor lamps just to see what I think of daylight temp during daytime hours.

Still interested in folks thoughts, though, about the complicated idea; thanks!

Old 10-06-18, 08:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,046 Upvotes on 3,630 Posts
Daylight color is pretty harsh for most home lighting. Ok in the workshop, laundry room and maybe the kitchen. They do make wifi controllable bulbs that you may want to experiment with. You can operate them with available apps or remote controls.

WiFi LED bulbs

Old 10-07-18, 02:11 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PJmax
Daylight color is pretty harsh for most home lighting. Ok in the workshop, laundry room and maybe the kitchen. They do make wifi controllable bulbs that you may want to experiment with. You can operate them with available apps or remote controls.

WiFi LED bulbs
Yeah, I guess I don't really mean full daylight temp; what I'm envisioning for daytime lighting would probably be more in the 4,000-4,500 range. Just discovered that Halo (Eaton) has a line of residential tunable retrofit LEDs for ceiling cans ... sounds pretty slick, though their smartphone app seems waaay to fussy ... and since I don't currently have ceiling cans, the can-less direct-mount LEDs seem pretty appealing, but no ability to change color temp once installed.

Last edited by mc510; 10-07-18 at 02:27 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: