Dimmable Ballast Problem

Old 10-12-18, 04:53 AM
Dimmable Ballast Problem

In the building I work at, we have a bunch of light fixtures with 120v dimmable electronic ballasts, no low voltage. Currently they're just hooked up to a switch to turn on and off, not dim. I put my amp meter on the two lighting circuits when the lights were on. The bigger draw of the two was 7.3 amps. I believe that bigger lighting circuit draws around 876w. I've been looking for dimmers for this application, but it seems like they're not around because LEDs are more practical now days.

I guess my question is; can I use a 1000w incandescent dimmer on this application? Or is there another way to solve this problem without dishing out the big bucks?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-18, 07:36 AM
Group Moderator
Take a look at the ballast. It should have some wiring instructions printed on it's label that will give you an idea of what you need. But the ones I have seen you do NOT vary the input voltage. They usually have a separate control or dimming circuit usually with a photo eye or some type of light sensor. I think 0-10 volts on the control circuit.

Old 10-12-18, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the reply. I know the type of dimmers that you're referring to. These specific ones don't have the low voltage wiring at all. I've replaced and installed these electronic dimmer ballasts before, but the dimmers for them seem to be pretty rare, and for 876w, pretty much impossible to get one that's designed for this application. I think they've all been phased out of use. I think that my supervisor has been buying incandescent dimmers for smaller applications with only a few light fixtures, but don't quote me on that. I just wonder, would they run off of a 1000w incandescent dimmer?

Last edited by aubatron; 10-12-18 at 10:47 AM.