Help with light switch - outlet

Old 10-19-18, 12:08 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with light switch - outlet

HI, Hoping someone can help me figure out the correct way to wire this mess. Recently changed out all of our light switches and outlets, but this one is giving me some trouble. The light switch box contains two separate light switches - one controls an exterior light, but the other is somewhat of a mystery. I believe it is used to control the "half-hot" outlet on adjacent wall, but I cannot figure out the correct wiring. I have been able to wire the left light switch (exterior light) and can get it functioning, but the outlet and the outlets further down the line are not working. The light switch box contains 4 sets of wires, 3 of which are 2-wire and 1 3-wire with red. The outlet box contains 1 2-wire and 1 3-wire. I have a feeling this is pretty simple stuff...just can't wrap my brain around it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! The top picture is the light box and the second is the outlet.

Name:  b1.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  73.2 KB

Name:  b2.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  71.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 10-21-18 at 01:28 PM. Reason: reoriented, enlarged pictures
Old 10-20-18, 07:05 AM
Received 159 Upvotes on 145 Posts
Hi, was everything working before you pulled thing apart? do you want the receptacle half switched?
Geo

Attached Images   
Old 10-20-18, 08:12 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't believe the outlet ever worked, but I am not 100% sure. We really don't have a need for a half switched receptacle, but I can't figure out what the light switch would control if it didn't go to the outlet. The other light switch in the box controls the exterior light, and although it may be wired incorrectly, it does work as of right now.
There is an overhead light in the room, but it is controlled by a different light switch altogether. I just need to figure out how to wire it so that it gives power to the outlet and then that outlet feeds power to 2 other outlets.

Please excuse my terminology if it is incorrect or if what I am saying makes no sense. I can certainly try and clarify if I sound confusing.

Many thanks!

Old 10-21-18, 05:09 AM
Received 159 Upvotes on 145 Posts
Hi, did you disconnect the wires at that receptacle? do you have a volt meter and know how to use it? You are going to have to determine which conductor in the switch box is Hot first.
Is that Red conductor in the switch box connected to anything in that box? If not, my guess is it should be connected to one terminal of a switch.
Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: