LED Replacements

Old 10-21-18, 05:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
LED Replacements

The lite fixture says "fire hazard do not use greater than 60 Watt bulbs." or something line that.
Now if I replace a medium base 60 W incandescent with a 75 W LED Is that safe or asking for trouble?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-18, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 164 Votes on 154 Posts
I seriously doubt your LED is 75 watts. Look closely at the label. It's probably the equivalent of a 75 watt incandescent but actually uses about 10 watts.

Old 10-21-18, 07:33 PM
Yes you are right It is the brightness rating and the actual wattage is 12 on the package. So could I run 5 of these if there was a place to screw them in and only use the same amperage as a 60 W incandescent?

Old 10-21-18, 09:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 257 Votes on 242 Posts
So could I run 5 of these if there was a place to screw them in and only use the same amperage as a 60 W incandescent?
Basically...... yes. Keep in mind that some LED lamps run hot and need cool air to operate so be careful using them in confined spaces or fixtures.

Old 10-21-18, 10:02 PM
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
But LED's put out a fraction of the heat of an incandescent which is why many fixtures have wattage limits.

Old 10-22-18, 04:07 AM
Received 52 Votes on 50 Posts
Another pet peeve of mine.

I wish the light bulb industry would stop using wattage as a measure of light bulb brightness. Most people, especially older people are very confused with the advent of LED's. If they would just go cold turkey, eliminate wattage and specify only lumens, people would very quickly equate brightness with lumen rating. Kind of like what Canada did with the metric system. And it worked!

Old 10-22-18, 05:49 AM
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
OMG, not just lighting the entire Metric system.

We are the only major country who has not converted. Talk about something that costs us money!

"At this time, only three countries—Burma, Liberia, and the US—have not adopted the International System of Units (SI, or metric system) as their official system of weights and measures."

Old 10-22-18, 06:26 AM
for a while thirty years or more ago the metric system was taught in some schools. That is the students were thought to think metrically, i.e.visualize a length as so many centimeters or meters. Instead of saying something is a foot long they pictured it as 15 centimeters I don't know about now days..Has not:: the US automotive industry largely converted to metrics in nuts and bolts?

Back to lighting, yes us old timers thnk wats = brightness and will as long as the manufacturers package the bulbs and tubes that way.

Old 10-22-18, 01:55 PM
The US machine tool industry especially the auto industry fought the metric conversion because of the initial expense involved. Not caring about future cost. In actuality there is a "law" that says we are converting to metric. The lobby industry was and still is out of control. (Consider the fact that TESLA is being bared from selling cars in some states unless he establishes dealerships). Instead they thought a soft conversion would satisfy the need. It failed! However, it was quickly determined that NASA and the military needed to go metric, thereby actually increasing cost for American industry. And of course since most cars are now made overseas, metric is now being forced on to us.

What is really a shame is that once working with metric it's very difficult to go back to English. When I design a 3D print item, it's exclusively in cm and mm.

Old 10-22-18, 06:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 40 Posts
I wish the light bulb industry would stop using wattage as a measure of light bulb brightness.
They don't use wattage, they use lumens. The wattage listed is just to help people to choose a bulb similar to the same brightness of an incandescent bulb. All of the bulbs I install will state how many lumans they produce. It is really the only way to compare one bulb to another.

Old 10-23-18, 03:35 AM
They don't use wattage, they use lumens. The wattage listed is just to help people to choose a bulb similar to the same brightness of an incandescent bulb. All of the bulbs I install will state how many lumans they produce. It is really the only way to compare one bulb to another.

Toylyn, I have to disagree. I understand what you're saying. I sell these things on a daily basis. People buy based on wattage. The manufacturers build and rate the bulbs on lumens, BUT, they sell on wattage. It's all a marketing game. I even talked to one of the sales reps and asked when and if they will stop promoting (using large lettering indicating wattage and small lettering showing lumens) and he said when the market conditions change enough that "we" won't loose market share.

Suppose one single manufacture, for instance, Philips, wrote the wattage rating in very small print and promoted their bulbs only based on lumens in large print? But GE, SATCO, and all the others continue to sell their bulbs with reference to wattage! Who do you think will gain the bigger market share or putting it another way, who will loose market share?

The manufacturers are not listing the wattage to help people, it's to sell what people are comfortable with. Help has little to do with it. I have several charts hanging next to the bulbs comparing wattage, lumens, kelvin color and whatnot, and I explain to many people what the difference is and what the terms mean. In the end, almost to the person they end up buying on wattage. And they look at me as if I have two heads!

I also try to explain warm white with cool white or daylight. Even though I explain and show that the brightness is the same, most people will say the cool white is brighter and will buy it or not based on that perception.

So I'll repeat again. Remove the wrong terms and only provide the correct terms and the masses will quickly learn the proper meaning of lumens and buy accordingly. There are so many things like this that it seems so ironic that we curse ourselves with erroneous information. And the metric thing too.

Old 10-24-18, 09:31 AM
Received 20 Votes on 15 Posts
The manufacturers are not listing the wattage to help people, it's to sell what people are comfortable with.

Considering the ignorance of the general public, it is no wonder to me why the industry continues to use wattage equivalency to sell their lamps. It's scary to think these people reproduce and even worse, they vote!!

Old 10-26-18, 09:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
BUT, they sell on wattage. It's all a marketing game
I think their marketing department needs to work harder. I think I'm going to come out with my own brand of bulbs - "Light Bulb 800! Why buy a 60w when when you can get an 800 lumen bulb!"

We all know 800 is better than 60!

Old 10-31-18, 06:07 AM
LED's have a better quality of light distribution and focus light in one direction
Well, this not necessarily good or bad. There are occasions that I would rather have had the light spread a bit more than the LED provided. Flash lights are one example that the old incandescent bulbs provided a peripheral spread of light. LED's concentrate most of the light in one direction. Again not necessarily better or worse.