ballast or bulbs (or neither?)

Old 10-26-18, 11:01 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
ballast or bulbs (or neither?)

Have a fluorescent setup on kitchen ceiling. Two lamps, with two fluorescent bulbs each.

Lights are not coming on until the 3rd or 4th time I flip the switch off. Once they come on, there is little flickering (flickering is normally what I think of as ballast-related). It seems to be straight from dark to light once it comes on on that 4th try. Is this ballast, bulb problem, or something else?

Old 10-26-18, 12:43 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,708 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
It's hard to say what is causing the flickering and poor starting. The usual first step is to replace the bulbs especially if the ends are darkened. But I would not bother. I'd just convert the fixture to LED. That way you don't care what the problem is as you'll be getting rid of both the ballast and fluorescent bulbs.

Old 10-26-18, 12:52 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Pilot Dane, is replacing with LED complicated? Can I just put the new bulbs in? Or does it require additional wiring work? (Which I can do).

Old 10-26-18, 01:06 PM
Received 1,058 Upvotes on 960 Posts
Very simple, I just replaced all my bulbs in the garage, cut 6 wires to remove the ballast then reconnect the line wires to the tombstones, takes about 15 minutes per fixture!

I got super high output for the garage, more than you would put in a house but it;s like daylight out there now!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: