3-Way Hall Light Wiring Issues

Old 10-29-18, 12:53 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3-Way Hall Light Wiring Issues

House was built in 1979... no local codes at the time.

Hall light with toggle switches at each end of the hall. We'll call the junction boxes B1 and B2. Power supply comes into B1 on one 3+G line (red, white, black, ground) at the front end of the hallway. 3-way switch there See Box1 picture below.

At the other end of the hallway, three supply lines coming into the junction box (B2)... two x 2+G, one x 3+G. See picture below. Junction box (B2) is a two-switch box. One switch (single pole) originally used to turn on/off an attic fan which is no longer in use since putting in a heat pump, and apparently only has current if the other switch is in the right position. Second switch (3-way, no ground screw) controls hall light.

I replaced the switch in B1 to have a white toggle instead of a brown one. Since then, when I switch the light at the back end of the hall (from B2) the light stops working from either end. Switch the circuit breaker off/on to reset, and it works again. But, again, if I switch the light from B2, it stops working from either end. Not sure why or what to do about it. Don't want to burn the house down! But, read on...

Box 1 (front end of hallway). Black wire on opposite side of white is ground/green.

----------------------Box 2 (back end of hallway)

In B2, the first two cables (left to right) are 2+G. The third is obviously 3+G. The black wire from all three supply cables go to the brass poles on the 2-pole switch, one at top, two at bottom. White, black and red go to the other hall light switch, currently unattached.I would just as soon eliminate the old attic fan switch (shown). But, I don't know how to properly wire things up. The main thing is to fix the hall light so it can be turned on and off from either end of the hall. Help?

I just noticed... if I leave the light turned on, the light can be turned on and off repeatedly from either switch. But, if I switch the light off and try turning it on from the other switch, it stops working altogether. I don't get it.

I could really use some help with this! Thank you!

Old 10-29-18, 04:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,986 Upvotes on 3,578 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Black wire on opposite side of white is ground/green.
It should be green or bare. Black is not acceptable there.

I can't follow too much text. I can recognize a problem instantly from the pictures.

At box 1..... you have a dead end three way switch. You need to exchange the black and white wires. You want the black wire to be the common (black screw) as you are already sending it hot from box 2. Get rid of the black jacket on the ground.

At box 2.... the red and white wires are the travelers and go on the brass screws. The remaining black wire is the load/light and connects to the common (black) screw.

Old 10-29-18, 10:12 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your help. The suggestion has the light switches working as they should now. I didn't have any green wire for the ground, but I did find some blue sleeved multi-strand copper and used that. At least its not black, and blue is fairly close to green. I'll get some green tape and mark it. Many thanks!!

Old 10-30-18, 09:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,986 Upvotes on 3,578 Posts
Good job. Thanks for letting us know how you made out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: