LED and Dimmer

Old 11-05-18, 12:08 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LED and Dimmer

I have a chandelier that hold 12 led bulbs. There are 6 at 4 watt plus 6 at 6 or 7 watt. So total max watts is 66 watts. I have purchased 3 different led dimmers. The dimmer portion of the switch burns out. Twice the dimmer part Burnt out in about 1 hour. The other Burnt out in 4 or 5 days. The on and off button on the dimmers still so I am able to turn the lights on and off. BUT but not the dimmer part of the switch. The led dimmers state they will handle 150 watts. With the dimmers part burnt out the amp probe only reads less than 1/2 amp. Now I have only no more that 66 watts. So any one have an IDEA.

Old 11-05-18, 04:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
LED's are strange beasts. I've never had that many individual bulbs on a dimmer but I have a feeling it's due to the actual quantity of them.... not the load wattage. When an LED bulb first powers up it appears as a short to the dimmer for a split second. With that many on a single dimmer..... it could be a major start up short.

One thing I would try is a Lutron Maestro dimmer MA/CL is the model number. It ramps the power up slowly at turn on. It may take that excessive start up load.

Old 11-06-18, 05:58 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
I would try a different brand or one with more watts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: