Want to replace 4-pin CFL recessed cans

Old 11-13-18, 04:51 PM
Received 10 Votes on 9 Posts
Want to replace 4-pin CFL recessed cans

When the previous owners of my home remodeled circa 2010, LED lights were few and expensive, and CFLs were what you used to save energy.

Unfortunately, I have 7 recessed cans in my kitchen which only accept these 4-pin CFLs. I hate the bulbs and I hate the sockets. When I change a bulb, the entire socket comes out in my hand and the bulb usually shatters.

I would like to replace the sockets with normal ones and use LED floods instead of these CFLs.

Question: is this a straightforward swap of the fixtures? I don't know whether these 4-pin CFLs each has its own ballast or whether there's a ballast lurking somewhere in my ceiling.

Attached Images  

Last edited by RocketJSquirrel; 11-13-18 at 07:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-18, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 132 Posts
is this a straightforward swap of the fixtures?
If they are new construction cans it will be very difficult to install a new remodel can in the existing hole. You would likely need to open the ceiling, remove the old can and install a new can in its place.

The ballast is above the ceiling attached to the junction box. You will need to remove the can. There will be 3-4 1/4" hex head screws inside the can to remove the housing. You can then push it up or pull it down to access the junction box.

You will need to bypass the ballast. If you really want to replace the socket to a medium base, I would recommend buying a new can and cannibalize the socket and lead wires. A new construction can is only about $7

If you are willing to keep the existing socket, they do make LED replacements for that type of socket.

Another option would be to get some LED disk lights like these: https://www.amazon.com/Lithonia-Ligh...afer+led&psc=1 (of course, check the size of your hole before ordering.

Old 11-14-18, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the info. Not what I was hoping to hear, obviously, probably out of my DIY skill level.

How can I determine whether the cans are new construction or remodel cans?

Old 11-14-18, 12:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 835 Votes on 782 Posts
Post a picture or two of the can..... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 11-14-18, 04:29 PM
Group Moderator
Post a picture of the inside of the can with the lamp and trim removed.

Old 11-15-18, 11:08 AM
Post a picture of the inside of the can with the lamp and trim removed.
I will do this, but prefer to wait until a bulb burns out. It's such a pain to pull these bulbs and they break half the time.

It won't be long; these bulbs have the shortest life of any I've ever used.

Old 12-23-18, 02:58 PM
As predicted, it didn't take long for the next CFL in my kitchen to die. I have a photo, but can't upload it. I seem to be over my quota for photos. Is there a way to increase my quota?

Sum of all attachments owned by RocketJSquirrel: 211.4 KB

Socket.jpg:
Exceeds forum quota by 57.5 KB.

Old 12-23-18, 03:53 PM
Group Moderator
Old 12-23-18, 04:44 PM
No, it doesn't help. That's what I've been doing. Do I need to delete old attachments? Or drop some $ into an account?

Old 12-24-18, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
The ballast is above the ceiling attached to the junction box. You will need to remove the can. There will be 3-4 1/4" hex head screws inside the can to remove the housing. You can then push it up or pull it down to access the junction box.

You will need to bypass the ballast.
Well, perhaps the photo isn't needed because this project may be out of scope for me.

If there is a ballast (one for all the cans, or one per can?) above the ceiling, and I need to break open the ceiling to find it, I'm just going to live with these CFLs.

Old 12-24-18, 05:33 PM
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
One per can (The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 25 characters.)

Old 12-24-18, 07:58 PM
Group Moderator
If there is a ballast (one for all the cans, or one per can?) above the ceiling, and I need to break open the ceiling to find it
There is one ballast per can. You can access the junction box through the can opening just remove the trim and then remove the can housing. No tearing of drywall is needed. I just retrofitted 40 cans a couple of weeks ago.

Old 01-04-19, 03:29 PM
Hooray, photo attachments are working again.

Here is a photo of one of the cans with the lamp and trim removed. All it really shows is the 4-pin socket dangling by its wires. Sorry about the cobwebs.

Does this provide enough information to determine the ease of retrofit into normal medium-base fixtures?

Attached Images  
Old 01-04-19, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
Yes. That is a remodel can. The black clip is have circled in red (there will be 3 or 4) is what holds the can up on the sheetrock. To remove the can you take a screw driver and pull the clip in and down into the middle of the can. The can will then come down and you can access the junction box. It might be helpful to go to a home store (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) and look at a remodel can so you can see how they work.

Now that I see what you are working with, I would suggest replacing the entire can housing rather then retrofitting these cans. (If they are all the same) If it was a new construction can I would retrofit it as they do not come out, but since they are remodel cans changing the entire housing will be easier.

Attached Images  
RocketJSquirrel voted this post useful.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 01-05-19 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-04-19, 06:06 PM
Cool, thanks for sticking with me on this!