Change Switch Controlling Outlet to Control Recessed Lights

Old 11-13-18, 08:58 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Change Switch Controlling Outlet to Control Recessed Lights

I have a light switch that powers the top half of an electrical outlet. The wire from the switch to the outlet is 14/3. I would like to make the outlet hot at all times and use the switch to power the overhead recessed lights.

The receptacle outlet has a 14/3 line coming in to the top half of the outlet (red and black connected to the top brass screw and the white wire to the silver screw) and the line going out to the next outlet has a white and black connection on the bottom half of the outlet. Grounding is also present.

The switch box has a 14/3 wire from the outlet coming in and two other sets of romex wires. All three black wires are connected together and are pigtailed to the bottom of the switch and the red wire is connected to the top half of the switch. All of the white wires are connected together in the box with a wire nut.
Can I just cap off the red wires in both boxes and get a new receptacle outlet and wire it as a normal outlet in series. Can I then just connect the black wire from the recessed lights to the top half of the switch where the red wire was originally and tie the white wire from the lights to the white bundle in the switch box.

I appreciate any help I can get regarding this set up and please excuse my explanation if it is too wordy. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-18, 09:30 PM
J
Received 264 Votes on 229 Posts
You have the correct plan.
Replace the existing receptacle with a new one that does not have the tab cut.