Replacing old 4-way dimmer with 3-way

Old 11-17-18, 07:59 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing old 4-way dimmer with 3-way

I am attempting to install a 3-way dimmer switch for some LED recessed lights. When I removed the old dimmer switch (photo attached) it appears as if it has one wire too many - perhaps at one time it was a 4-way switch? There is definitely not a 3rd switch that controls these lights. How do I appropriately wire the new 3-way dimmer? Or - do I need to get a 4-way switch even though it is only a 3-way application? Help is greatly appreciated!

Attached Images  
Old 11-17-18, 08:56 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
You can't install a three at a four way position. You need to trace the cables with the red and white wires in them and tell us how they are connected at the other end. If there is truly not a three way at the end of both of those cable then we should be able to figure how to connect it.

Old 11-17-18, 01:06 PM
M
Old 4-way dimmer?

OK - my bad. The photo that I previously posted was not the dimmer - but just a 4-way switch. At the other end of the hallway is the dimmer (photo now attached). It has 2 white wires, 1 black and 1 red (in addition to the Green ground). This is the broken switch. I presume that this is a 4-way dimmer - but am not sure since there are only 2 active switches in the circuit. I guess its possible that there is a buried switch somewhere. I have a new 3-way dimmer. Is there a way I can replace the switch in the photo with the 3-way dimmer? How would I wire it? Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 11-17-18, 01:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
They don't make 4 way dimmers. I've never seen a dimmer with two white wires on it. Can you take the tape off and post pictures then ? See if there is some kind of model number on the old dimmer.

That extra white wire is a smaller gauge. That may possibly be a direct connection to the neutral splice. If that is correct.... the new dimmer won't require it.

If you have a new dimmer it should be connected...... black to black, red to red and red/white to heavy white.

Old 11-19-18, 05:56 PM
M
Thanks for your help. It turns out that the existing dimmer was a 3-way dimmer; the extra white wire was the neutral splice. Installed a new low voltage dimmer (my LED lights were flickering, because someone had previously installed a universal (not ELV) dimmer (several years ago). Unfortunately, even after putting in the new dimmer, the lights are still flickering. Should I change the bulbs - or at this point do I probably need new housings? I had read that the driver can be damaged after extended use with the wrong dimmer.

Old 11-19-18, 06:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Usually when the drivers are damaged they go dead.
Do the lights work ok (no flicker) when a dimmer is not used ?

You could try that by just connecting the black of the dimmer to either the red or white wire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: