Need advice Installing new under cabinet light to two wire setup

Old 11-20-18, 12:38 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need advice Installing new under cabinet light to two wire setup

I am installing a new under cabinet light and instructions say that "If you only have two wires (black and white) then consult an electrician". I am replacing a light that had been on those two same wires for decades without any problem so I am wondering whats up. I have included some pictures to illustrate.

Attached Images      
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-18, 12:52 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The light will work with two wires, but a third (bare/ground) wire is needed for safety and code compliance. Even more important with the light being in the kitchen area. Is the ground wire perhaps clipped short and inside the cable sheathing?

Old 11-20-18, 02:36 PM
C
More images

Yes it appears that they wound the solid copper wire then taped over it I should have peeeled all that back. Can you tell me if that is fabric insulation? That wiring was done when the house was built in 1957. If you need better resolution I can get a 5MP camera and give you more shots.

Attached Images      
Old 11-20-18, 03:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 913 Votes on 853 Posts
That is the second generation cloth covered cable as just the sheath is cloth covered. The wiring is thermoplastic. Carefully wrap the existing fabric sheath with black tape to keep it from further unraveling. The bare ground wire will connect to the green of the ballast.

Wrapping the ground wire around the end of a cable and then putting a romex connector over that was an early light connection method. That was done before they included a ground screw on fixture.

Old 11-20-18, 04:23 PM
C
Good info thanks..... I do like everything grounded....these flourescent fixtures are becoming scarce now but I am saving about 20-30 bucks over the LEDs. I like the light from them also.