Wiring/installing three floodlights where there is no existing wires?

Old 11-24-18, 01:21 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring/installing three floodlights where there is no existing wires?

I bought a couple of floodlights without thinking about the hardwired part. There seem to be many threads about people hardwiring to an extension cord that is plugged up somewhere in the attic, but then people chime in on how that method is not up to code. Should I do it this way or no? I do have a power outlet in the attic. I also have a light switch in the garage that controls two light sockets in the attic. Would I be able to tap into switch/two lines to add three additional floodlights? What all do I need and how or is there a better a way? I feel comfortable with drilling, installing a weatherproof base, and etc, but I'm lost when it comes to wiring this thing somewhere in my attic for power.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-18, 02:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 151 Posts
Should I do it this way or no?
Absolutely not!

You need to run an approved cable to the locations where you want the lights. Most places NM-b (Romex) is fine, but in some places (New York, Chicago) you need to use a metallic wiring method.
You could get power from almost any 120v source available with the exception of the Kitchen circuit, laundry circuit, and bathroom circuit. Your attic circuit sounds like a good option as it is already switched. You will need to use the same size wire that is already there and run the cables to the new light locations.

I recommend you do some reading/ watch some videos on the basics of the proper way to run NM cables.

Old 11-27-18, 09:46 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I used Lever-nut wire connector (found from Amazon ) to connect my different wires. It is safe and reliable because it does not need any insulation tape

Last edited by PJmax; 11-28-18 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Corrected description of product
Old 11-28-18, 04:47 AM
Received 57 Votes on 53 Posts
Hi, if you tap into the attic lights they will need to be on when you want the floods on, not ideal, how many cables are in the garage switch box? you could possibly add another switch at that location and pull a new cable to your flood locations.
Some pics would help.

Geo