Florescent light flickering

Old 11-25-18, 03:16 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Florescent light flickering

I don't know a lot about florescent lights but my kitchen has one. For a while, the lights would be really dim and flicker for a while before turning on. Then they would just be dim and flicker until I tapped the fixture with a broom to get them to come on. Now they just stay that way. Actually, the fixture has 4 tubes. One is completely out and the other 3 just flicker dimly. Do I just need to buy a new one to replace the one that is completely out or could it be something else? I read some fixtures have starters but that's not so common anymore. It diedoes look like I has one but I'm not sure. I just don't want to buy a new tube and still have the problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-18, 03:32 PM
A
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
would replace all 4 tubes for a starting point chances are very likely it is just a bad bulb.

Old 11-25-18, 03:48 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Also, I just took off the cover to look at the ballast. There are two of them. Everything looked ok but just for kicks, I swapped the bulb that was completely out with another one. Now two of the four lights light up completely. I don't know if that makes a difference but if it's certainly the tube I'll just replace them, probably with LEDs. Thanks.

Old 11-25-18, 03:58 PM
A
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
as bulbs age they often do flicker on startup and eventually will not start up at all they are often wired in pairs so sometime you do lose 2 when one does go bad led is an option but can cost considerably more than just the replacement bulbs that could probably be purchased for 20 bucks or less at your home improvement store like lowes or home depot, maybe even Walmart.