recessed lighting spacing

Old 11-27-18, 01:07 PM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
recessed lighting spacing

Any thoughts on what the optimal spacing between fixtures is for a recessed lighting layout? I'm replacing a fluorescent light box setup with recessed in an 11 ft. by 21 foot room.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-18, 01:18 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
What size cans? 4", 5", 6"? What is the ceiling height? If 5" or 6" cans and standard 8' ceiling height, I like to do about 36" off all walls and about 72" between cans. You can get creative and just have a few around the perimeter of the room for a wall-wash effect, or spread them evenly. You could have a ceiling fan with light kit in the middle with recessed lights around the perimeter of the room. In other words, there are multiple options depending on the room size and shape. Can you provide a sketch and/or photos of the space? If you're using incandescent cans/bulbs please don't make the mistake of getting bulbs that are too large. The more they are tucked up inside the trim the better. You sure as heck don't want them to extend past the trim or even at the tip.

Old 11-27-18, 06:14 PM
T
RE: recessed lighting spacing

Originally Posted by mossman View Post
What size cans? 4", 5", 6"? What is the ceiling height? If 5" or 6" cans and standard 8' ceiling height, I like to do about 36" off all walls and about 72" between cans. You can get creative and just have a few around the perimeter of the room for a wall-wash effect, or spread them evenly. You could have a ceiling fan with light kit in the middle with recessed lights around the perimeter of the room. In other words, there are multiple options depending on the room size and shape. Can you provide a sketch and/or photos of the space? If you're using incandescent cans/bulbs please don't make the mistake of getting bulbs that are too large. The more they are tucked up inside the trim the better. You sure as heck don't want them to extend past the trim or even at the tip.
mossman, it is an 8 foot ceiling. Likely 6 inch cans. can you see attached photos?

Attached Images   
Old 11-27-18, 07:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 576 Votes on 529 Posts
Just a tip, but it's often a good idea to put the cans in on an increment of 16", because your joists will likely be 16" on center. So 64" apart would be a good number because as long as your first one misses the joist, they ALL will miss the joists. (Identify joist locations and map out your plan before drilling any holes)

Personally, I think 6" cans are a big large for an 8' ceiling but suit yourself. I'd use 5's. If the room is 11' wide (132") you could have the cans located at 34" from each wall (64" apart) and every 64" (or so) down the room. You would obviously fudge these measurements based on your actual room length and width.

You would also likely want to alter the layout so that you have good lighting over your work areas in front of the cabinets (like maybe 3 @ 4" there) or over specific items, like a kitchen table.

Old 11-27-18, 09:07 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Didn't realize this was a kitchen, so I agree with everything sleeper has said. I'm assuming you'll be ditching the existing ceiling fixture?

Old 11-28-18, 05:40 AM
T
@mossman yes, that awful light box is going in the trash as soon as I can get a replacement setup in.