1920's home with 13x13 square recess lighting

Old 11-29-18, 10:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1920's home with 13x13 square recess lighting

Hi,
I recently purchased a home and in the living room was a older type of light fixture. We want to add a new light fixture there but I am at a loss in how to best do this job. When I take the light off there is a light box in the ceiling and I'm not sure if I have to pull the whole box out and then patch the plaster ceiling or how to best do it. I hope this makes sense since the box is really big compared to the small round base of the new light that we want. Ill include pictures of the living room where you can see the old light fixture and Ill also add the newer kind that we want. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance. (Please excuse the mess around the house.)

Attached Images     

Last edited by Newhomeowner3; 11-29-18 at 11:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-18, 10:56 AM
I am not an electrician but I will tell you what I did with these same boxes in my house. I was able to pull the mounting nails from inside the box you show in your picture and with a little extra damage to the ceiling plaster, I removed that old box. I then nailed the new round junction box to the joist you are sure to find in the remaining hole. I added some extra 1x wood in the ceiling to give some backing to a drywall patch and then I applied a whole bunch of setting compound to make everything level. One thing to be careful of is the electrical connection as you try to move it from the old box to the new. It looks like you have a cable in the old box so it should be much easier and safer to move than my old knob and tube.

- Peter

Old 11-29-18, 10:58 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You should remove the old box. If it's a remodel box and not original, There should be some sliding brackets to loosen. If a ceiling joist is about where you want the new fixture you can nail a new construction fixture box directly to it. otherwise you'll want a remodel box that has the adjustable brackets to catch a couple joists.
The new box should stick out about a 1/2" lower than the plane of the ceiling so it will be flush to the new patch. You want to screw some wood support around the hole so you have something to screw the patch to.

Good luck!

Old 11-29-18, 11:15 AM
Opps I forgot to add the image of the new light fixture.

Old 11-29-18, 11:25 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I pretty much repeated what Perter had said. Looks like we were posting about the same time.

One thing his post reminded me of; you may still have the old knob-and-tube wiring. Inspect it carefully. The fabric insulation may have deteriorated.