Alternatives to recessed round lights

Old 11-29-18, 03:11 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Alternatives to recessed round lights

Hi All,

I have a few rooms that have just old light fixtures int he middle of the ceilings and that has to change

My dilemma is that the rooms are big and i really am not a fan of having to cut 30+ holes in the ceiling and then trying to run cable to each spot. So one day while standing in the hall at work i realized the ceiling light was quite interesting. When you look at it it looks like a big (maybe 3 foot wide 8 foot long) light panel that has no visible edge below the sheet rock. Kind of looks like the light is coming through the sheet rock or like there is a taught white material that is hiding the bulbs above it.

I am thinking of using that style in the downstairs part of the home (family room, playroom, hall laundry etc. so my questions are.

1) does anyone know where i can find a type of fixture that is like what i describe (hope it makes sense what i wrote above)
2) what other types of LED fixtures that can be recessed but are not typical cans are out there and do you have a website i can go to.
3) any comments on what is trending in residential lighting that is not overly complicated and where i can buy
4) should i just stick with regular round cans before i make a mess

thanks!

Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-18, 04:37 PM
Received 311 Votes on 291 Posts
The only lighting method that came to mind as I was reading is what I think is called a cable system?

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...1&d=1543538180

Attached Images  
Old 11-29-18, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 923 Votes on 862 Posts
Big recessed lights like that can be a problem to install after sheetrocking as the recessed part takes up a lot of room in the ceiling and chances are good there will be things like bridging in the way.

Have you seen the new style flat panel LED surface mount fixtures ? They come in many different sizes and are only about 1/2-3/4" of an inch thick. Take a stroll thru the lighting department at the home improvement stores. A typical LED fixture for a large room like a kitchen is $100.

Old 11-29-18, 06:10 PM
C
i was originally going to go with cable system but the ceiling is a bit low 7 1/2 foot or about so was thinking recessed of some sort is a better idea

Old 11-29-18, 06:15 PM
C
@PJMAx - i did look at those but one room is 15' by 28' so would need at least 6 2x4 panels i think. Not sure how that would look given the lower ceiling height.

Old 11-29-18, 06:23 PM
Received 189 Votes on 171 Posts
Have you considered track fighting as an alternative. Similar to what Marq suggested, but I think a bit simpler.

Old 11-29-18, 06:27 PM
C
Originally Posted by Norm201 View Post
Have you considered track fighting as an alternative. Similar to what Marq suggested, but I think a bit simpler.
track lights were there originally - tbh some track lights are pretty nice looking but i would go with cable system over track and i want to go more to the modern-ish side

Old 11-30-18, 09:25 AM
C
here are some pic of what i want to try and re-create. the light is just slightly lower then the sheet rock no more than 1/4 inch.

hope i got the pics added right

Attached Images   
Old 11-30-18, 09:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 78 Votes on 66 Posts
Sounds like you are looking for an LED light panel.

Old 12-01-18, 04:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 172 Votes on 154 Posts
Google "LED light panel" or "Surface mounted LED light panel" and you will find many options.
I have never seen the one in your picture. If it is new you might be able to find the spec in the plans when the space was built out.