Exposed Romex - Under cabinet lighting

Old 12-03-18, 11:34 AM
Exposed Romex - Under cabinet lighting

Second post today! I am eager to figure out how I am going to tackle this project while the weather is cool so I don't die in the attic!

I am putting in under cabinet LED strip light. There's a knockout on the back and the kit includes the cable connector which is perfectly sized for 3/8 metal flexible conduit. There is a lip on the front side of my cabinet so the light fixture is hidden from view but the back of the cabinet has no lip. The light strip I am using indicates to install it at the front edge of the cabinet, not the rear, so this requires a length of romex be run from the wall to the fixture, about 8 inches or so.

What I do not want is for me to say "I did it myself" and someone looks and goes "Yep, looks it!". I've been looking at several ways to have the romex exit the wall and make the 8 or so inch journey to the back of the light strip. Currently there isn't a back splash but part of this project will be to install one, probably tile and probably mosaic tile that comes on a mat.

My questions/points for advice are as follows:

- Cleanest/neatest/most professional way to have the romex exit the wall?
- Flexible metal conduit or plastic channel? Is one preferred, recommended or required over the other?
- How should I 'finish' the exit point from the wall? For coaxial cable they sell these nice grommet/bushings that give a clean look from where the cable exits the wall. Since I don't have a lip on the cabinet, I was thinking of cutting a piece of wood to size, tacking it in and then drilling a hole in it and through the wall, giving a nice clean hole for the romex to exit.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-18, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
I normally mount the lights at the wall to avoid having any Romex exposed. However, since you want the lights at the front all you really need to do is to poke the cable out right where the cabinet meets the wall. Then attach the cable to the bottom using any approved method (straps, tye wraps, glue, tape) With the cable tight to the cabinet bottom nobody should be able to see it unless they bend way over to look. Just be sure to use a proper connector to connect the cable to the fixture. Do not just poke the cable through the open hole.

Where the cable comes out of the wall you can caulk/mud and paint, or grout it in when you tile.

Old 12-03-18, 06:52 PM
Group Moderator
I know a lot of guys will just use a short piece of wire mold to protect the Romex so that it isn't exposed. (In cases where you can't avoid it).

Old 12-04-18, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the replies and advice. It really seems there's no much out there other than what you all mentioned. I think I am going to go the wire mold route. I think it looks the cleanest and most professional. Thank you!!