Recessed Lights New Construction

Old 12-06-18, 07:05 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recessed Lights New Construction

I have a new construction house being built in New England. Which means that all of the ceilings are strapped. I am looking to install recessed lights in the rooms. My plan was to use standard 4" round boxes with LED disk lights. I have done lots of renovation installs using Old Work boxes, but never new construction. I feel like I am missing something really obvious and am hoping you all can help me out. How do I install electrical boxes in the ceiling and make them flush with the drywall? If I use a standard nail in box, the box won't nail to the strapping because the nails are above the 3/4" strapping. If I attach it to the joist, the box is way above the "flush" face of the drywall. I have looked at the boxes with the support bar, but pretty much the same results. SO....outside of nailing in a cross brace specifically to support the box (which I don't want to do 40+ times), how do you install a light fixture in a new construction house in New England where all the ceilings are strapped?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-18, 07:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 570 Votes on 523 Posts
Use ceiling boxes that are mounted on adjustable hanger bars.

I don't understand why anyone puts strapping on ceilings.

Old 12-07-18, 04:16 AM
S
Tried that one also. If I attach the adjustable bar to the strapping, the box is way below the flush face of the drywall. And my joist are engineered joist, so picture an I-Beam style joist where it is wider at the bottom (flange) and thinner in the middle (web). If I attach the bar to the web, the box is set in too far. And I cannot attach it to the flange because the adjustable bar doesn't shorten up enough.

Are there ceiling boxes that are adjustable vertically? That is something I have not seen yet.

Almost every forum has the comment you made on the strapped ceilings. Growing up in New England, I did not know there was any other way! Amazing how a tradition can last.

Old 12-07-18, 04:31 AM
Received 57 Votes on 53 Posts
Hi, install blocking between the joists at the location of your lights then install your box, I like to mount the box to the blocking first then secure the blocking so that the box is 1/2” or the thickness of the drywall below the strapping. You can also use bar boxes with the appropriate thickness plaster rings.
You may have to get creative , as long as the box is set for the drywall thickness and secure you will be fine.
Geo
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Slater-4...0HAC/304270980

Old 12-07-18, 05:40 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
A little expensive if you need 40 of them, but nonetheless and option: https://www.gordonelectricsupply.com...RoC-tQQAvD_BwE or https://www.homedepot.com/p/Madison-...-203343429-_-N

You could also attach short pieces of 3/4" strapping in line with the joist at each box location and nail a regular box couldn't you? The nails should grab the joist and the piece of strapping would provide the proper spacing.

Last edited by mossman; 12-07-18 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-07-18, 06:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 570 Votes on 523 Posts
Maybe attach to the joist and use an extension ring on each box?

Old 12-07-18, 06:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 151 Posts
Add some 2x material to the top side of the 3/4" strapping to give the box some to nail to.

IMO I would recommend "real" can lights instead of the disk lights. You will have a lot more options with standard can lights (sizes, trims and lamps). They will be easier to wire as well.

Old 12-08-18, 05:07 AM
S
I think we have success! The adjustable bar on the ceiling box was rotated 180 degrees, so the tabs on the end were pointed down. Once I rotated that, and put the bar on the web portion (resting on the flange) of the joist, the box is flush with the strapping. Add in the 1/2" plaster rings (thanks, Geochurchi!) and they are now flush with the future drywall!
Thanks for the help all!