Under eave/wall mount conversion to pole mount

Old 12-09-18, 09:52 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Under eave/wall mount conversion to pole mount

Hello everyone. I'm new here, in fact my first time posting a community question. I normally get help from neighbors/family and friends but this question seems to stump them all.

I have standard under eave/wall mount motion sensor flood lights on each corner of the house. I want to remove them and install them on galvanized pole. I'm thinking the top rail of chain link fence. Box store carry it in 20' section. The reason I want to move the lights off the house is so I have better control on the throw of the light and that it lights more of the house. Right now I get ambient light on the house and 95% goes into the lawn. I'd much rather have an even mix of where the light is thrown. Plus, I'm tired of pulling out the ladder twice a year to clean off all the spider webs on the house.

Does anyone know a way to mount an under eave flood light onto a 2" galvanized pole? Taking water/snow into consideration.

Thanks everyone!

Old 12-09-18, 09:55 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
How are you planning to get the power to the light?

Old 12-09-18, 10:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
How are you planning on reaching the top of the 20' pole to replace bulbs ?

Pole slipfitter
another Pole slipfitter

Old 12-09-18, 12:18 PM
E
Good questions.

For running power I was just going to drill a small hole through the pipe, put in a grommet and then run the wire up to the top. I figured on using my Kubota to dig the hole about 3 feet down. Fill it with post setting concrete and then pull the wire through the top with a string. That means I'd have about 17' above ground for the light. I'm planning to put in LED bulbs. And with their advertised lifespan of 10-20 years I wouldn't have to change the bulbs for a long time. I'm also going to add a tp-link switch to the wire so Alexa can control the circuit for me. The only piece I'm missing is how to re-use the existing fixtures without going out and buying fixtures for pole mount. I'm beginning to think I'll have to get some pole clamps and make a wall plate to mount the fixture and then put a cap over the top of the post for rain/snow.

I wanted to ask here before I went through all the work of fabricating a solution when something might already exist.

Old 12-09-18, 12:24 PM
E
When I do have to change the bulbs, I figured I'd stand in the front loader, which would give me about 10' then use one of those extension poles for changing bulbs to get the rest of the way up. If 3' is in the ground I think I can get the 17' fairly easily.

Old 12-09-18, 01:19 PM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
Get a slip fitter, mount a weatherproof box on top and mount your fixture on the box.

Or put a post cap at top, drill a hole in the pipe to mount a weatherproof box through the back with a nipple and mount the fixture on the box. Make the hole high enough that you can reach a mounting nut inside the pipe before you attach the cap, or thread the hole.

Old 12-09-18, 01:57 PM
Group Moderator
I left you links to slip fitters. They slide on top of 2" pipes and have setscrews to lock them on. They also have a 1/2" conduit thread at the top for fastening a light fixture or box to it.

Old 12-09-18, 02:53 PM
E
Thank you for the link. I think that's what I'm going to do. The only complete solution I found is a fixture mount from a place called Celina Tent. But the mount is $68 and includes a fixture welded to the mount. So I'd have to cut the fixture off and then attach my existing lights. Ending up with waste.
here's a link to the Celina site in case someone else is interested.
Celina Tent

Old 12-09-18, 07:08 PM
Group Moderator
Nah..... you don't want that. That's a temporary setup item.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: