Exterior Light Installation

Old 12-16-18, 04:59 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exterior Light Installation

Installing an exterior light on a cedar shingle sided house with an Azek landing block. I currently have full access to the back side of the wall. Making a couple of assumptions as I do not have a light to look at for an example. I plan on using a standard junction box, cut a hole in the wall of the correct size, add blocking on the backside of the wall to mount the box flush with the landing block. Sounds about right? Or are there boxes that are made to attach to the inside of the sheathing and be flush with the outside, with no need for blocking?

When the siders installed the landing block, the put it in as if it was another shingle. So it is overlapping the lower shingles and is angled back slightly. Which is great for drainage, right up until I install a box and make a big hole. Is there anything I should be doing to make this more water tight besides caulking or mastic along the edge of the box (and the lamp during install)? Should I extend the box out slight from the surface to make a drip edge?

Old 12-16-18, 07:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I would recommend using a remodel box and mount the box to the block.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: