aluminum wiring

Old 12-28-18, 07:40 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
aluminum wiring

hi, I realize there was an older thread on aluminum wire, but the site recommended a new thread.

i have no experience in electrical work and wanted to know about installing new fixtures in my home. The house was built in 1988 and my inspector and real estate agent claimed the wire was gonid and all the fixtures could be updated without a problem, but then I read about all the problems with aluminum wiring. I'm having an electrician come out and put in one new fixture and change out that fixture's dimmer switch with a regular switch. What should I ask him to look for if I attempt to do any of the other light fixtures myself? Should I ask him if all the fixtures were set up for cop/alum connection? If one original fixture was safe. It it safe to assume the rest are. The previous owner replaced two of the fixtures in 2013 right before we moved in, but i didn't ask them how they did it due to not knowing problems with aluminum. Several of the houses in our neighborhood have aluminum wiring. I can't afford to replace all the wiring either. Thank you

Last edited by PJmax; 12-28-18 at 11:32 AM. Reason: repaired formating
Old 12-28-18, 11:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,983 Upvotes on 3,575 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Technically.... every connection..... receptacle.... switch.... and light should be checked for proper aluminum connections. The electrical panel should be checked too.

Old 12-28-18, 04:56 PM
S
Received 32 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Correct me if I'm off on my dates, but I thought aluminum was a 1960's to mid-1970's thing. I know aluminum was never outright banned, but isn't 1988 a little late for it to be showing up in new construction?

Old 12-28-18, 05:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,983 Upvotes on 3,575 Posts
Hmmmmmmm...... yes you are correct.

Old 12-29-18, 06:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 878 Upvotes on 741 Posts
Aluminum wire is silver or gray in color. Copper will be orange or reddish. I agree that 1988 is too late for aluminum wiring except for larger conductors like that is used for ranges or feeders.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: