Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

Taymac in use + 12 Gauge GFCI cord + 16 Gauge Extension cord + Christmas Lights

Old 12-29-18, 09:14 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Name:  gfci cord.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  103.9 KB

Dear Guys, I was embarking on a project to change my GFCI for an outdoor receptacle when i stumbled upon a product online and that seemed to me a simpler solution, if it wld work

Product: 3 foot GFCI cord 12 gauge.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073ZMLZGW/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A26OASPQYU1JXQ&psc=1

What I intend to do is plug this into a weatherproof "in use box" (taymac). I believe this cord itself is water / weather resistant including the reset switches etc and there after plug my 50 feet extension cord into this cord and reach my christmas light string at the other end.

the advantage i get opportunity to plug single or multiple extension cords into this one cord (if need be) as it has 3 outlets and all get gfci protected during rain etc.

Now the only question i have is: Is it ok to plug a 16 gauge or a 14 gauge extension cord to this 12 gauge GFCI cord cause i cant find a 14 or a 16 gauge GFCI cord anywhere.

so basically: The receptacle (NON GFCI) in a Taymac box + The 12 gauge 3 feet GFCI plugged into the receptacle and then a 14 or 16 gauge cord about 50 feet plugged into the GFCI cord and there after the light strings. Would this work?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-18, 12:52 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dear Friends pls do help out...

Old 12-30-18, 01:37 PM
Received 23 Votes on 23 Posts
That cord will provide GFCI protection for what ever is plugged into it, however the right way is to provide a GFCI receptacle at the point of use. You can replace that outlet (In your other thread). I personally don't like GFCI devices outside in the weather elements. So I usually protect it before the wire or cable goes outside

Old 12-30-18, 05:09 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
I tend to agree with "CB".

What I question is the change in wire gauge. Your weakest point is the 14 or 16 gauge wire. I wonder if the GFCI cord will trip if the 16 gauge wire were to get hot due to over draw of amperage?

In your case I doubt you will have a problem.

Old 12-30-18, 05:18 PM
J
Received 247 Votes on 217 Posts
I wonder if the GFCI cord will trip if the 16 gauge wire were to get hot due to over draw of amperage?
The GFCI would not trip for those conditions. GFCI trips by imbalance of current between hot an neutral. The wire could be glowing red but if the current on the hot and neutral are equal the GFCI will not trip.

Old 12-30-18, 05:38 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
Good to to know. Thanks joed!

PS... Wait. This begs the question...Say I have CFCI outlet as coded request. I use a power tool say with a 16 gauge 35 foot extension cord. I over work the power tool (saw, hedges clipper, lawnmower, whatever...) and the cord begins to get hot. I'm not protected? So what is my protection using a GFCI other than possible wet conditions?

Old 12-30-18, 09:02 PM
J
Received 247 Votes on 217 Posts
Your protection with GFCI is from shock. If a wire become exposed or the device shorted inside to make the metal frame hot the GFCI would trip when you touched it instead of shocking you.

Old 12-31-18, 06:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 620 Votes on 573 Posts
A GFCI and circuit breaker are two different monsters. A circuit breaker protects the wiring in the walls from overload and fire. It senses too much current being drawn and trips (turns off). If you stick your tongue on a bare wire protected by a circuit breaker it provides NO protection against shock. The breaker will continue cooking your tongue all the way up to the amp capacity of the breaker with some buffer or delay. A circuit breaker will trip at different times depending on how much current is being drawn. A slight overload may take 30 seconds to trip the breaker. This allows high starting current like when a fridge turns on to not trip the breaker. But if there is a massive overload like a dead short then the breaker will trip almost instantly.

As Joed mentioned a GFCI measures an imbalance between the hot and neutral. Sort of like an electronic see-saw. As long as the hot and neutral are in balance the see-saw stays balanced and current flows. It doesn't care how much current flows as long as it's in balance. If the current goes somewhere else like to ground or to a person that knocks the current between hot and neutral out of balance causing the GFCI to trip. They are extremely sensitive and trip without delay.

Old 12-31-18, 12:28 PM
A
Received 80 Votes on 74 Posts
You can plug a 16 gauge extension cord into a 12 gauge extension cord or vice versa and i t will work the same way. In both cases you need to use manual discipline not to overload the thinner cord.