Switching from fluorescents

Old 01-04-19, 06:23 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Switching from fluorescents

I am remodeling my basement to make it a more welcoming industrial style room. Currently the side that is a bedroom is straight from the 90s, wood paneling, drop ceiling, fluorescent light fixtures, the works! Well, Iím fairly confident with almost everything except the lighting. Iíve changed lighting fixtures before, but this is a bit different. First off, the main cable has 4 wires; black, white, red, and bare copper. The fluorescents are on 2 switches, one on each end of the room. There are 2 fixtures that are wired together. What I want to do is use copper piping to create my own lighting fixtures. My issue is that I just want to use basic light socket and those typically have only a white and a black. I think I would use the red where the black would go to make sure the switches work, but is it safe to just put a nut and tape on the free hanging black? What about the copper, since Iím assuming thatís the grounding wire Iím not 100% sure what to do with that? And what about stringing more than one socket together? Do I have to use 4 wire cable (that is currently existing since thatís what was used to string the fluorescents together) or can I use 14/2?

Thank you so much in advance, I really donít want to burn my house down lol

Old 01-05-19, 05:48 AM
Received 159 Upvotes on 145 Posts
Hi, pretty difficult to understand what you are trying to do, are you going to hang the sockets from this copper pipe? Or am I missing something! Post some pics of your plan so we can have a look.
Geo

Old 01-05-19, 06:09 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
I'm not sure that I have a clear picture of what you want to construct either, but, as far as the circuit, you have two switches so it's a three-way, and yes, it needs the red wire. You can google three-way circuits and find any number of schematics that should explain how it works.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: